Lily of the valley

Evelyn was studying mathematics in her class. She was not paying attention to her teacher as she was looking at a pretty butterfly that came and sat at the window near her desk.

She found this butterfly to be gorgeous with beautiful peacock like design, she remembers reading about this butterfly in an enclyopedia which she read in this summer.It was called 'peacock butterfly'. The butterfly looked like it was enjoying the attention given by her.
So she giggled at it.

"Ms. Gilbert " Her proffesor Miss.Peterson, called out.
Hearing her voice, Evelyn snapped out of her observation of butterfly and looked towards her .
" I am sorry Miss Peterson." Evelyn muttered softly feeling embarrassed that she was caught not paying attention to the class.
"I don't accept distracted students in my class,Miss Gilbert. You should know well than to not pay attention in the class ,since you have extra responsibility than your peers from now on." Miss Peterson scolded her in a hard voice.
Rest of the class started laughing on this.

Evelyn eyes started watering a little. She did not mind her peers laughing, she did not even mind that her teacher scolded her in front if everyone. She got hurt by the way her teacher said those words so indifferently as if she did not know about her situation. She always wondered how a person can be so apathetic to someone else's pain.

Evelyn kept her head down and listened to the class snickering behind her back, while her proffesor continued her lesson as if she didn't just mock her student in the most insensitive way.

After the bell rang, she hurriedly gathered her books in her backpack and left the class before anyone else.
She left for her home not waiting for her sister or her brother to ride her home. She felt like crying all over again,but she kept it in till she came back home and entered her room . Closing the door she couldn't keep it in anymore and just like that she started crying.
Tears were rolling from her eyes, she asked God why did they have to take her mum and Dad away from her.

Flashback

"Mum!" A 13 yrs old Evelyn ran towards her house. Her short golden hairs were flying across her face , her blue eyes were Sparkling with happiness.She was excited to show her Mum about the new friend she made today.
Opening the main door she sped off towards the backyard knowing that's where her Mum will be.
"Mum look I made a friend today! Mum I found him near the house from our block while I was coming back home."Evelyn exclaimed happily.

Miranda gilbert. A kind and thoughtful woman in her late 30s with brown hair and brown eyes turned towards the voice of her daughter.
She smiled at her little daughter and ushered her to come near her.

" Darling what have I said about running?" Miranda sofly reprimanded.
Looking guilty Evelyn said," I am sorry Mama , I won't run from now on. But I was so excited to show you my new friend that I forgot about that." She said happily.

Laughing at her daughters antics. Miranda said to her daughter " Okay, but just this once I will let it slide cupcake."
Evelyn smiled at this.
"So who is your new friend you wanna show me?" Miranda asked her daughter knowing exactly 'who' is her daughter's new friend is.

Evelyn beamed and presented a small sapling of dahlia flowers.she was carrying it in her bare hands not minding a little bit that her hands were dirty .