VI

I made my way to my new school with a sense of excitement, yet also with a sense of apprehension. I had always been uneasy about being the new kid and having to make new friends all over again.

As soon as I entered the school, the atmosphere felt different from my old one. It was bigger and grander, with so many more students. I felt like a small fish in a big pond.

I took a deep breath, trying to stay calm as I tried to find my way around the school. I felt a little overwhelmed, but at the same time, I was excited to be in such a new and different setting. As I walked down the hallway, I felt like everyone was staring at me, but in reality, I was just one of many students, just trying to navigate my way around a new environment. I couldn't help but feel a little lonely and uncomfortable.

That's the thing about big cities and big schools. You feel self conscious because you feel like everyone would judge you, but in reality no-one gives a damn.

I read that on Google, not personally experienced.

"Hey, excuse me!" I call out to a group of students who looked my age. Half glared at me and half looked at me in confusion.

Whew, so much friendliness.

"I'm a new student here. I was wondering if you could show me around...?"I asked, tilting my head a little. 

A look of understanding passed over their faces. "Shreya Sehgal," one girl introduced herself and before she could say anything else, the boy next to her spoke up. "Krish here. Welcome," he uttered and extended his hand. This sparked a reaction among two other girls as they started to snicker in amusement. The girl named Shreya, on the other hand, seemed annoyed, and furrowed her eyebrows at Krish. I smiled at them and shook his hand.

"What's your class and section?" He asked. I blinked. 

"Oh uhm I'm in eleventh grade but don't know which section." I replied, rubbing the back of my neck sheepishly. Krish turned towards Shreya.

"Our teacher hadn't informed us about any new students, had yours?""Na, she didn't." 

"Your classroom must be the last one from the left of this corridor." Shreya turned to me. I nodded, unsure if she's right or not.

"Well, uh...pleasure meeting you guys. Thanks for the direction." I gave them a nod of gratitude.

"Why don't you join us at recess today? We'll be at the ground by the bleachers." one guy offered.

"Sure I will, till recess then." I smiled and began to walk to the classroom Shreya mentioned.

"He's cute." "Glad your standards are increasing." I overheard two of the girls saying as I left.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Lag gaye.

This place is so...bustling.

I feel strangely intimidated as I take in the looks of my not so preferably new classmates. Most of the people are yelling about cricket at the top of their voices, some girls are singing, some are chattering away and a boy just got pushed on the ground and got back up immediately, tugging at the hair of another guy.

This place is wild.

I noticed that there are two columns filled with boys and two with girls. There wasn't a single empty bench at the boys' side, and there were two over at the girls'.

I take a quick glance around and walk over to the last bench, leaving a bench empty between me and the girls at the last occupied bench.

Yeah, I just settled myself down at the girls' area. What's the worst that could happen?