Chapter 1: Newt's POV

Newt swung the hatchet down on the log, almost done chopping another piece off. He grunted, pulling the hatchet out and wiping the sweat off his forehead.

"Newt!"

Newt turned around, watching Chuck run towards him. Newt grinned and stuck the hatchet into the ground tip first.
"What's up, Chuck?" he asked, leaning on the hatchet.

Chuck held up a finger, panting as he caught his breath. "Alby.. wants to know... if... You're done," he gasped for more air.

Newt nodded and pointed to the pile of wood behind him. "Should be enough for tonight."

The boy nodded. "Okay. Do you need help carrying it to the cam-" Chuck was cut off by a loud ringing.

"The box is coming," Newt explained to Chuck, seeing the smaller boy's face light up.

Chuck smiled. "Sweet! Won't be a greenie, not anymore!" he cheered.

Newt laughed, laying the hatchet down. "Then let's get going. Wouldn't want to miss the bloody greenie."

Chuck smiled. "Alright." Both boys started making their way to the box.

Halfway there, Chuck started asking questions. "How long does it take for the box to get here?"

"'Bout thirty minutes."

"Is the greenie early or late?"

Newt rolled his eyes. "There is no early or late."

"Is the Greenie the reason we have bonfires every month?"

"Yes. Greenies show up exactly a month after the last one. For every greenie, we have a bonfire," Newt explained. Chuck nodded, understanding the answers.

They got closer to the group of boys crowding around the box. Voices rang out around the Glade as the Gladers shoved each other and laughed, trying to get a better view. A loud clank announced that the box was here.

Two boys walked forward reaching for the handles, and pulled the box open. Gally jumped down and into the box.

"Day one, Greenie," he said. Newt could hear the Greenie move around in the box. Newt leaned towards Chuck. "Bloody greenie is probably klunking his pants right now," he said with a smirk. Chuck grinned and nodded. "I know I did."

Newt rolled his eyes again. "Chuck, there are some things I don't need to know." Chuck grinned wider.

A few of the boys dragged the greenie up and he fell to the ground on his back. The new boy had black hair and a very confused look staring at everyone above him. Newt smirked. Things would only get better from here.

The Greenie studied the Glade. Before anyone knew it, he bolted, running past the boys and heading toward the forest. Everyone cheered, and someone called out "We got a runner!". Newt laughed as the Greenie got closer and closer to the forest. Then he face-planted into the ground. All the boys jeered and laughed, rushing over to the Greenie. Some of them helped the Greenie up and Gally grabbed the greenie by the arm.

"Put him in the slammer until Alby can take care of him," he called, shoving the greenie towards a few boys and walking off.

Newt watched as the boys put the greenie into the slammer, closing it tightly so he wouldn't bolt again. Shrugging, Newt went back to the garden to help Zart with some stuff. Along the way, he saw Alby heading toward the slammer. I'll meet up with him after he showed that greenie around a bit Newt thought, nodding hello to Zart who was busy shoveling fertilizer into a bucket

"Guess you'll make the greenie get the fertilize as soon as he works with you," Newt said, grabbing a hoe from next to the garden. Zart grinned and nodded

"Good idea!" he said brightly, tossing Newt a bag of apples "Go give these to Frypan for me, he's been bugging me about no apples all day,"

Newt titled his head in confusion as he got a better hold of the bag

"Didn't we give Frypan like a bloody dozen apples three days ago?" he asked, turning to Zart. Zart shrugged and shook his head

"He told me that they disappeared, and he hasn't used them for anything yet. But they're gone, so I'm giving him some more,"

"Huh," Newt shrugged and headed towards the kitchen.

As he passed the woods, a weird glint caught his eyes. Stopping, he studied the forest, trying to spot what made the glint. Probably just a trick of the light. He thought as he shook his head and started towards Frypan again.

After giving Frypan his apples, Newt spotted Alby with the greenie walking around the glade.

"Hey, are you alright, Ably?" Newt asked, coming up next to Ably and the greenie.

"Green Bean, meet Newt. When I'm not around, he's in charge." Ably explained.

"It's a good thing you're always around then," Newt said, then he turned to the greenie. "That was some dash you made, for a second, I thought you had the chops to be a runner...till you face-planted," Alby laughed and looked at the greenie.

"That was great." Ably agreed. The greenie gave them confused looks

"Wait, a runner"?" the greenie asked, looking back and forth between them. Ably stopped laughing and looked at Newt.

"Newt, do me a favor. Go find Chuck."

"All right,"

"Thanks,"

Newt nodded and headed over to the homestead, knowing Chuck most likely headed there after they put the greenie in the slammer. And he was right. He found Chuck sitting by a tree, carving something out of a block of wood. Newt plopped down next to the boy, nodding towards the thing of wood.

"What's in your hand there?" he asked, leaning over so he could look at it better. Chuck shrugged and let Newt hold it so he could study it.

"It's just a pastime," Chuck told him as Newt turned the wood thing over in his hands. Newt nodded and handed it back to Chuck.

"Looks nice." He told him, ruffling Chuck's hair. The younger boy grinned and pushed Newt's hand off "Oh! And Ably want's you,"

Chuck nodded and stood up, brushing off his pants

"Figured," he said, putting the wood in his pocket. He waved his hand at Newt, heading towards the tree house, where Newt could see Ably climbing up. It was the same each month. A new greenie comes up in the box, they settle into the schedule, and then it all happens again. Honestly, Newt was getting tired in the Glade. But Newt didn't have time to sit down and ponder his life and everything. He had noticed Minho and Ben coming in from their run, and he got up to go meet them.

Catching up to them near the kitchen, Newt said hello to Ben and clasped hands with Minho.

"Anything new?" he asked, while Minho silently took a sandwich from Frypan's kitchen. No one in the glade, not even Alby, wanted to be caught taking food from Frypan before dinner. Minho took a huge bite of the sandwich after making sure Frypan wasn't around and shook his head.

"No, it was the same as yesterday," He said, his voice muffled by the food.

Newt held in a sigh. "You sure?" He asked. Minho shot him an annoyed glance.

"Yes, it was the same as it was three years ago, Newt," Minho replied, sarcastically. Newt could tell that Minho wanted to be left alone to eat, so Newt said bye to both runners and walked off.

Looking around, he watched as everyone went around, doing whatever job they had. Winston and Jack were working in the barn, Ben had met up with a couple of other runners, and everyone else was just going about their day, waiting for the bonfire tonight.