2

ROSALINE

I walked into the plain room that was dim due to the thick blinds covering the large windows. "I thought I told Lauren to stop pulling them down in the morning," I mumbled as I walked over to the blinds and pulled them up so light could come into the room.

I put the key back in my purse and made my way to large king sized bed where my mother laid unconscious.

"Good morning, mom," I mumbled as I took a seat on a stool beside the bed. Once again, I was greeted with silence. I had grown used to it over the years but yet, I wasn't used to it.

"It's been about a week or two," I started as I looked at the woman on the bed. I got all my looks from her.

"I got a raise and a promotion three days ago. It was surprising but it seemed like the whole hospital knew about it, I was the only one who had no clue," I said with a chuckle.

It was my usual practice to come here once in a while to tell my mother things I couldn't tell anyone. Only Lauren, Blaze and I had the key to this place.

After talking about everything that happened in the last weeks of my life I decided to tell her about what my father had decided.

"You know when you'd tell me that you wanted me to marry early?" I said to her. "I guess your wish finally came true. I'm getting married," I said with a fake enthusiasm.

"Sadly, I'm marrying a stranger. I always believed you were going to wake up before my wedding day," I mumbled.

My heart began to sink everything in. the pain began to spread through my body. My brain began to digest everything slowly. I was getting married off because my father wanted to save his mafia.

Maybe it was because I reminded him of his wife a lot.

"So..." my voice trailed off as it became shaky.

I was getting married to a stranger.

Not just any stranger.

A powerful stranger.

"I'm getting married," my voice broke. Tears began to fall and my chest began to feel constricted. I hated acting like nothing bothered me but I had no choice. That was the only way to survive ever since my father turned cold.

"You know, I miss being dad's little princess," I mumbled as I laid my head on her lap. I wished she would just wake up.

"I'll be strong," I whispered and wiped my cheeks as I raised my head.

"I'll see you again," I smiled at her motionless body and stood up to leave.

After locking the door, I made my way to my room. It was bare because I had moved out three years ago. I only came here if it was necessary. I didn't want to get caught up in this mafia life so I moved out when I got into university.

Father didn't object and Blaze agreed because it would guarantee my safety even though he made his men watch over me every day. It's not like I couldn't defend myself.

I could shoot a gun, throw a knife, throw a punch and even fight. I could handle myself well.

With a tired sigh, I stripped off my clothes and went to bed. I still had a few hours before night came. I was going to sleep my whole day away since I had an all night shift yesterday.

I didn't even stop home because father said I was urgently needed at this place.

I snorted at the irony of my life.

Rose?

Rose was beautiful, it depicted love.

Love?