Chapter XII: More Than They Bargained For

EXTERIOR: SPACE

  The view is just like the star map hologram, plus, the storm-shrouded planet of Kamino is exactly where it ought to be. Obi-Wan's Starship disengages from the hyperspace transport ring, flies overhead and heads down toward the planet. "There it is, R4, right where it should be. Our missing planet, Kamino. Those files were altered." Obi-Wan tells R4 as they go down to the planet.

  EXTERIOR: TIPOCA CITY, KAMINO LANDING PLATFORM (RAINSTORM) - DAY

  Heavy rains and hard-driving winds lash the platform as Obi-Wan's Starship approaches. The huge, ultra-modern city of Tipoca rests on great stilts that keep it above the pounding and ever-present waves that cover the surface of this watery world. The Starfighter lands. Obi-Wan gets out and makes his way through the howling wind toward a tower on the far side of the platform. A door slides open. A shaft of brilliant light pierces the swirling rain. Obi-Wan passes through it and goes inside.

  INTERIOR: TIPOCA CITY, CORRIDOR ENTRANCE - DAY

  A Brilliant white light. Obi-Wan pushes the soaking hood from his face. "Master Jedi, so good to see you." Obi-Wan wipes the rain from his face and blinks in surprise at a tall, pasty-white alien named Taun We. He has large, almond shaped eyes. "The Prime Minister expects you." The tall, pasty-white alien informs him. Obi-Wan replies warily, "I'm expected?" "Of course! He is anxious to meet you. After all these years, we were beginning to think you weren't coming. Now please, this way!" Taun We, unknowingly, tells the Jedi Knight. Obi-Wan masks his surprise as they move away along the corridor.

  INTERIOR: TIPOCA CITY, PRIME MINISTER OFFICE - DAY

  The door slides open. Obi-Wan and Taun We enter and cross to where Lama Su rises, smiling, from his chair, which, like all the furniture on Kamino, seems made out of pure light. "May I present Lama Su, Prime Minister of Kamino...and this is Master Jedi..?" Taun We looks to the Jedi Knight for his name, Obi-Wan fills in "Obi-Wan Kenobi." Lama Su indicates a chair yet Obi-Wan remains standing with Taun We hovering.

  The room is bathed in brilliant white light. The whole place is ultra high-tech. "I trust you are going to enjoy your stay. We are most happy you have arrived at the best part of the season." The Prime Minister starts off politely. Obi-Wan states courteously, "You make me feel most welcome." "Please...", Lama Su gestures to chair for Obi-Wan to sit, "And now to business. You will be delighted to hear we are on schedule. Two hundred thousand units are ready, with another million well on the way."

  Obi-Wan continues improvising by saying, "That is...good news." Lama Su then requests, "Please tell your Master Sifo-Dyas that we have every confidence his order will be met on time and in full. He is well, I hope." "I'm sorry? Master-?" Obi-Wan questions in surprise. "Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. He's still a leading member of the Jedi Council, is he not?" Lama Su questions the Jedi Knight, only for Obi-Wan to answer with, "Master Sifo-Dyas was killed almost ten years ago." Lama Su gives his condolences, "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. But I'm sure he would have been proud of the army we've built for him." Obi-Wan asks, "The army?" "Yes, a clone army. And, I must say, one of the finest we've ever created." Lama Su says with pride in his voice. "Tell me, Prime Minister, when my Master first contacted you about the army, did he say who it was for?" Obi-Wan asks, trying to get as much inside information as he could. Lama Su confirms for the Jedi Knight,  "Of course he did. This army is for the Republic. But you must be anxious to inspect the units for yourself." "That's why I'm here." Obi-Wan comments as he and Lama Su rise and walk toward the door.