XXIV

A blazing hot sensation coursed though my body while my feet pressed against the shattered ground. The torrid heat weighed down on me as exhaustion ate away at my legs.

"I'm going to pass out," Shoko's voice rang out as she was gasping for some oxygen.

"I can't carry you, Shoko, so don't do me like that," I whined as I pushed the limits of my body even further so I could get to the finish line faster.

"Sensei should start planning for his funeral. I might just poison him after this," she continued as we reached the end of the track.

Silence soon fell over our conversation when we both collapsed on the ground, my legs giving up immediately. My breathing was irregular, and I was sweating too much from places I didn't even know you could sweat from.

"This was a devilish punishment," I complained, lying with my back against the track field as I glanced at the blue sky that covered us entirely.

"You don't have to mention it. My legs are crying right now."

I let out a tired sigh, gazing at Shoko with compassion.

I am feeling the same. If I wasn't this tired I would have gone to Sensei and used my flames on him. It's cruel! This is cruel! Why do we have to be punished because we failed our mission? And like this? That old fart made us ran the entire track fifty times. I might as well just die now.

I thought while still panting.

As some clouds started to paint the scenery with white hues, covering the blinding rays of sun, I let my head fell to the side. My eyes captured his image as if my retina was taking a picture of the scene that was unfolding next to me.

Satoru was training on his own with one of Yaga's plushies. His movements were different this time than what I remembered. He was much more sharp and quick with his moves, yet still looked graceful as he fought the curse.

I felt like I was mesmerised. My eyes gazed upon him for a while as I was watching every movement his body made.

Gojo was enjoying himself a little too much as a huge grin was plastered on his face while he was panting. When I noticed it, I felt my heart beating as the feeling that only he was able to spark into it was now present like it never left. It was as if the pain he caused wasn't even there.

What am I thinking?

I said to myself, frowning as I placed a hand over my chest. It was heavy.

Those feelings are mixed up and all over the place. I don't want them anymore...I don't want to feel like this again.

"You like the view?" an embarrassing question resonated in my ears as I quickly turned my head away.

"I was just glancing over there, that's all," I explained as I sat upright, making eye contact with Suguru.

"Water?" he continued to ask both Shoko and me.

"Thank you," I accepted his offer as I desperately needed something to distract me from it all.

"You know, he usually doesn't train on his own. Do you think something is bothering him, Shoko?"

"I think I know what it is," Shoko replied looking directly at me.

"Huh? What, me?" I said, unintentionally raising my voice as I choked on the water.

"You're right, there's just something about them both..." Suguru started to say, but I cut him off immediately.

"There's nothing. And whatever was before, I'd rather forget it all," I confessed, thinking back at Gojo's advice.