xx.

𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐥 !

𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐢𝐢𝐢, 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐱

Avalon hadn't slept in 24 hours. She thought staring at the wall would eventually bore her to sleep, but quickly found that the increasingly terrifying nightmares were far worse than boredom, so she found herself awake for as long as her body could stand. Plus, with Finnick under medical supervision for his injuries in the Games, she couldn't stand to leave him alone. Just in case.

She had healed far quicker than both Katniss and Finnick had, for some reason, so many of her days consisted of eating meals and staring at the wall in the room where Finnick was being healed. Right now, he was sleeping. 

He looked very peaceful when he was asleep, like nothing had gone wrong in his lifetime. Although she knew all the horrible things he had endured, the youthfulness of his slumber made it easy to forget. He still got nightmares, but they weren't as frequent since they got to District 13. Avalon figured it was all the medicine he was taking that lulled him into a peaceful slumber. 

His head shook then, his eyes scrunching up before opening so softly. He gazed around the room until he locked eyes with Avalon, shooting her a small smile. "How did I know you would be in here when I woke up?" He asked, reaching out for her hand.

She took it, giving it a small squeeze. "I'm always in here, that's why," she replied, with a small smile. "How did you sleep?" He simply shrugged, closing his eyes and leaning his head back as if he were going to go back to sleep. "Are you hungry?" She asked him.

He turned his head to face her, and then shook it. Finnick never seemed to be hungry these days. "Thanks for asking, though," he said, squeezing her hand. He looked up at the ceiling, then back down to Avalon. "Has Katniss woken up yet?"

Avalon nodded. "She keeps leaving whenever she gets nightmares. I've seen her get dragged back to her room too many times to count. I feel awful for her." 

Finnick nodded. "You look exhausted, Avalon. Why don't you go get some sleep?" When Avalon shook her head, he continued, "I'll be okay, you know?"

"I don't know that." She let go of his hand to pull both of her own over her face. "I can't sleep anyway. The nightmares are too bad. I understand why Katniss keeps trying to leave."

Finnick winced as he sat up, slowly, then took Avalon's face in his hands. "You need sleep, love. You can't fight without it." Avalon sighed closed her eyes for a moment, and Finnick leaned down to kiss her forehead. They caught eyes for a moment, and then Avalon stood up. 

"If I'm going to sleep, then I need someone to wake me up if I start having a nightmare," she explained, and then lightly pushed Finnick's shoulder over, encouraging him to make room for her on the bed. "This way, you can wake me up if I have a nightmare, and I can be here for you if you need me. Compromise." 

"Compromise," Finnick repeated with a small smile, wrapping his arms around the girl's shoulders as she settled into the crook of his neck to fall asleep. 

✰✰✰

Katniss had gone back to District 12, which was apparently in complete ruin. Avalon had slept through this, but she heard about it upon Katniss' return to District 13.

Katniss also made a deal with President Coin, the leader of District 13, that ensured a rescue mission for Peeta and Johanna. Now, the whole of District 13 gathered to hear President Coin's announcement about their new Mockingjay (which is what they had titled Katniss as the leader of the rebellion). Avalon and Finnick stood hand-in-hand beside Katniss' mother, who seemed to be very focused on Coin's speech.

As Coin stepped up to the microphone, it was so quiet in the room that you could hear a pin drop. "Good afternoon," the President began, "...and thank you for interrupting your schedules. They have already been adjusted to compensate for the delay. Please, check with your unit supervisors when you resume your work.

"I have an announcement for the citizens of 13," Coin continued. "And our welcome, guests from 12. Katniss Everdeen has consented to be the face of our cause to help unite the districts against the Capitol. In exchange, I have promised several concessions." It was at this time that Katniss made her way over to stand beside Finnick, who was to Avalon's left.

"First, we will assess all opportunities to extract the victors held hostage in the Capitol. Peeta Mellark-" 

An uproar began in the crowd. People obviously didn't like Peeta for the stunt he had pulled earlier. Peeta had been on live television speaking in favor of the Capitol with Caesar Flickerman.

"-and Johanna Mason. Once freed, they will be granted full pardon for any and all crimes committed against the rebel cause." The uproar only grew stronger. 

"Good," Avalon heard Finnick say, quietly, as he leaned toward Katniss with a small smile. "That's good, Katniss."

President Coin made direct eye contact with Katniss. "If Katniss Everdeen fails to fulfill her duties, the deal will be off. Thank you for your attention, please resume to your daily schedules," and she exited the balcony, and everyone else exited the room.

"That's a lot of pressure to put on you, Katniss," Avalon said, holding eye contact with her. "Are you sure you're up for it?"

Katniss shook her head. "I'm not doing it for me. I'm doing it for Peeta." She nodded her head towards Avalon and Finnick and then began to exit with the rest of the crowd. 

That's when Avalon realized that she would do the same if Finnick had been in Peeta's position. 

Love was enough to fuel a revolution.

✰✰✰

a/n: just a warning, finnick doesn't play a huge huge part in mockinjay part one so i'm doing my best here ok LOL