iv.

𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐥!

𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐢, 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐯

THE TRAINING ROOM WAS FULL OF tributes, all who were testing out the different weapons available to them

THE TRAINING ROOM WAS FULL OF tributes, all who were testing out the different weapons available to them. All except the careers, of course, who already knew what weapon they were experienced with, so they were pretty much just showing off their skills.

As Avalon and Oliver entered the room, they didn't know where to start. There were throwing knives, spears, swords, even tridents. Oliver left Avalon and went straight to the spears, and Avalon remembered him saying he was experienced in fishing. At least he's got something going for him.

Avalon made her way towards the center of the room. Since she wasn't too experienced, she had two goals in mind for the day: trying to find a weapon she was comfortable with, and paying attention to the other tributes' strengths. 

She found herself standing next to Oliver, seeing what he was doing. He had a spear in hand, and  put his free hand out straight in front of him, then throwing the spear straight ahead of him, and it barely missed the target. He sighed to himself, shrugging his shoulders.

"I'm used to throwing them straight down," he informed Avalon, who nodded in response. She put a comforting hand on the boy's shoulder. 

"You'll get it. You've got more experience than me," she encouraged. The boy smiled at her, then picked up another spear and went to work again.

Avalon decided that she probably wouldn't be all too good with spears, so she headed to the knives. She licked one up, trying to get a good grip on it as she tested it out. It fit somewhat comfortably, so she decided to take a few and test throwing them. 

She had seen a few tributes do it before her, and it didn't look too hard, but she knew it was going to be tougher than it looked. She found a grip on the knife, then threw it directly at the target, but it hit very low. She shook her head, adjusting her grip and trying again. This time, it hit higher, and she couldn't help but feel a little proud of herself. Knives, it is.

Soon, the training session was coming to an end, and they were heading back to their rooms. The next day consisted of the same routine, until it was time for individual assessments. All 24 tributes were sitting in the room, waiting anxiously for their own assessment. Oliver looked especially nervous, and Avalon felt awful for the kid.

"You're going to do great," she told him. "I saw you with that spear yesterday. You've gotten so much better." The boy smiled at her before looking back to his fidgeting hands. She shook her head. It didn't seem like he wanted to talk to anyone right now, so she gave him his space.