xii.

𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐥!

𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐢𝐢, 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐢𝐢

AVALON FELT THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD pretty much crush her at that moment

AVALON FELT THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD pretty much crush her at that moment. They told us we were safe. They told us we were safe.

She almost refused to process it, but once she saw Quinn next to her cover her mouth and stand from the couch, leaving the room, it really hit her. She could have to go in the Games again. She probably would have to go into the Games again. Mags was too old to go, and Annie was mentally unstable. There was no way either of them would survive.

And Finnick.

Finnick was the only male Victor for District Four. He would have to go, too.

She turned her head slowly, looking at the boy to her left. His head was in his hands, and his leg was bouncing. She put a hand on her leg but couldn't help but let the tears she had been holding back fall.

One of them was going to die.

Avalon's parents left the two by themselves to process the moment, but Avalon could hear their tears from the next room over. So this was real. This was happening.

Finnick raised his head from his hands and immediately engulfed Avalon in a hug. She didn't hesitate to hug him back, clutching onto him and resting her head on his shoulder as they both let out whatever emotions they were feeling at the moment. That's one thing Avalon likes about Finnick - he didn't care if you needed to let something out.

She cried into his shoulder for what felt like days before lifting her head to meet his eyes. He shook his head and looked back to the ground.

"I thought we were done with the Games," he said in disbelief, leaning his head on the back of the couch.

"I did, too," Avalon replied softly, wiping her eyes as the tears kept falling. "We have to go."

"I know," he replied.

"I don't wanna go, Finnick," she said, her breathing picking up its pace as she shook her hands. Finnick grabbed a hold of them to keep them steady.

"It's going to be okay," he said, hugging her once more. "It'll be okay."

✰✰✰

The entirety of District Four gathered for the Quarter Quell reaping. The air wasn't as tense this time, as most of the people knew they weren't going to be reaped. The victors, however, all felt anxious as they made their way down the aisle and to the stage.