vii.

𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐥!

𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐢, 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐯𝐢𝐢

PAIN COURSED THROUGH HER VEINS like a fiery substance

PAIN COURSED THROUGH HER VEINS like a fiery substance. Not physical pain, but one could mistake it for physical pain. The tears had not stopped since she left the creek, and neither had her legs. It seemed as though they would give out on her any second, but she kept running.

He was supposed to go home. He was supposed to go home.

District 4 was counting on her, and she let them down. The weight on her shoulders was heavy before, but it seemed as if a ton had just been dropped on them. How was she going to face his family? That was, if she was lucky enough to go home.

But there that thought was again. If she could go home. In her eyes, she didn't deserve to go home. Oliver, an innocent 12 year old boy, was killed and it was all her fault. In what odds does the person responsible for another's death get to go home?

She had accepted fate by now. If someone were to come along and try to kill her, she wasn't going to stop them. Nothing motivated the girl to keep going, to keep fighting.

She heard a series of beeps above her head, and she stopped running for just a second to see what it was- a sponsor package. "Who would sponsor me?" She thought, but let the thought slip to the back of her mind as she reached for the container. 

Upon opening it, she noticed that it was filled with some cooked fish. She tried to think back to the last time she ate, but couldn't remember. Oliver was the one who made sure she was eating. A note fell from the container, and she bent down to pick it up, her knees aching from all the running. 

I know it's hard, but you have to keep fighting. We need you to come home. -Finnick

The note warmed her heart. It made her think of those at home who were counting on her, but it wasn't enough to make her change her mind. She sat against a tree and ate the meal she was sent, putting the note away inside a pocket of her wetsuit. She hadn't realized it until she actually sat down, but she was exhausted. She hadn't been sleeping well to keep an eye on Oliver, but now she had nobody to watch except for herself.

Sleep came easy. As soon as she finished her meal, Avalon put the container next to her, grabbed a knife and gripped it in her lap, and fell asleep against the tree. It was much needed and very refreshing.

When she awoke, the sun was already halfway in the sky. "Did I really sleep that long?" She wondered, but shrugged it off as she stretched and stood up, gathering her things and walking through the trees. She had decided that she wanted to try and take the cornucopia for herself, so that's where she was headed.