xvi.

𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐥!

𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐢𝐢, 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐯𝐢

"A CLOCK?" AVALON ASKED KATNISS, confused as to what the girl meant by that

"A CLOCK?" AVALON ASKED KATNISS, confused as to what the girl meant by that. If it was a clock, it would be helpful to know what time of the day it was, she guessed.

"A clock," Katniss confirmed, walking on the rocks towards the cornucopia. Avalon stood from her spot, looking towards Finnick who only shrugged and followed the girl. "The entire arena seems to be layed out like a clock, with a new threat every hour," she explained.

It almost clicked in Avalon's brain. "So that's why immediately after the fog stopped, the mutts came after us?" She asked.

"That's right. But they stay only within their wedge." Avalon took a look around, and sure enough, she counted twelve wedges coming outwards from the cornucopia. "It all starts with the lightning," she said, and Avalon remembered how the lightning struck the tree twelve times. Midnight. "Then the blood rain, fog, monkeys. That's the first four hours."

The group had now made their way all the way to the cornucopia and stood in front of it. Katniss pointes to the left of her. "At 10:00 that big wave hits over there." 

As Finnick walked past Wiress, he complimented her. "Wiress, you're a genius." Avalon couldn't help but agree. She didn't know how Wiress could have possibly figured it out in her state of shock, but she did nonetheless and it would help the group tell time; keep them out of danger for a while.

"Look," Peeta pointed to the end of the cornucopia. "The tail points to 12:00." 

"That's where the lightning strikes at noon and midnight," Katniss said, looking off to the tree in the distance.

Beetee stopped in his tracks and turned toward Katniss. "Strikes where?"

Katniss pointed to the tree. "That big tree." 

Beetee looked at the tree and nodded his head gently. "Good."

The group dispersed for a moment, all taking in this new information. Avalon made her way towards the cornucopia, passing Finnick who rubbed her back as she went. They all gathered once again in the center of the cornucopia, and Peeta began drawing in the sand. The only one who didn't join them was Wiress, who sat at the edge of  the rocks and sang her little rhyme.

"Okay, so from 12:00 to 1:00 is lightning, then 1:00 to 2:00 is blood, then fog, then monkeys," he said, drawing a clock shape on the sand.