xviii.

𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐥!

𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐢𝐢, 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢

 FINNICK AND AVALON APPROACHED THE GROUP hand-in-hand, ready to hear whatever Beetee's plan was

 FINNICK AND AVALON APPROACHED THE GROUP hand-in-hand, ready to hear whatever Beetee's plan was. Avalon knee Beetee was a brilliant plan, and whatever plan he had come up with was bound to work, so she was ready to listen.

"Where do the careers feel safest? In the jungle?" Beetee asked the group. Avalon shook her head.

"The jungle's a nightmare," Johanna started plainly.

"Probably here on the beach," Peeta suggested. Avalon agreed with the boy; she'd rather be here than in any part of that jungle.

"Then why aren't they here?"

"Because we are," Johanna said. "Because we claimed it."

Beetee nodded. "And if we left, they would come."

Avalon heard Finnick speak up from behind her. "Or stay hidden in the tree line."

"Which in just over four hours will be soaked with water from the 10:00 wave. And what happens at midnight?"

"Lightning strikes that tree," Katniss said. Avalon had no clue where Beetee was going with all of this or why they had to spend so long talking and leading up to the actual plan.

"Here's what I propose. We leave the beach at dusk. We head to the lightning tree," he paused to point at the large tree where lightning struck. "That should draw them back to the beach. Prior to midnight, we run this wire from the tree to the water. Anyone in the water or on the damp sand will be electrocuted."

Beetee was a genius. 

"How do we know the wire's not gonna burn up?" Johanna asked, questioning if this was a safe tactic or not. Avalon couldn't blame her, but she put her trust in Beetee.

"Because I invented it."

"Beetee won his first Games this way, Johanna. He knows what he's doing," Avalon said, sending a small smile to Beetee to let him know she was with him.

"I assure you, it won't burn up," Beetee reassured Johanna. She simply nodded and turned her head to Avalon and Finnick, raising an eyebrow. Finnick looked down to Avalon, who nodded, then back up to Johanna and nodded.

"Well, it's better than hunting them down," Johanna said reluctantly.

"Yeah, why not? If it fails, no harm done anyway, right?" Katniss said, agreeing with the plan.