xvii.

𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐥!

𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐢𝐢, 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢

THE SCREAMS COMING FROM AROUND AVALON had forced her into a deep spaced-out state

THE SCREAMS COMING FROM AROUND AVALON had forced her into a deep spaced-out state. She had blocked most of them out by now by covering her ears and closing her eyes, keeping her forehead pressed against the barrier because she knew Finnick was there and he would come get her as soon as he could reach her.

The hour seemed like days before it had passed, and Avalon had almost drifted off to sleep, therefore not even realizing the hour had passed. The only thing that brought her out of her trance was Finnick grabbing ahold of her shoulders and bringing her into a hug. She didn't hesitate to return it, burying her face into his neck as he let her just hold him. 

She pulled her head back and looked at the group, then to Finnick. "They've got Quinn, Finnick. They've got Quinn.." She trailed off, not breaking contact with his eyes.

He raised his hand to rub her cheek comfortingly with his thumb. "Avalon, they're just mutts. It's not actually her," he told her. She shook her head.

"How did they manage to replicate her voice?" She asked, tears welling up in her eyes.

"The Capitol is very good at things like that," Beetee chimed in, making Avalon turn her body in order to face him. "It's not her." Avalon simply nodded her head, leaning backwards into Finnick. She looked to the left of her to see Peeta comforting Katniss.

Johanna crouched down time meet eyes with Avalon. "Are you okay?" She asked, genuinely worried about the girl. It confused Avalon, as Johanna wasn't normally one to get emotional over small things like this, she would just toughen up and take it. But something about the look in her eyes let Avalon knew she was serious.

"I'm fine.. I'm fine," Avalon reassured her. She nodded and pat the girls shoulder before rising to her feet again.

Avalon hadn't been paying attention to Katniss and Peeta's conversation, but it was unavoidable to not listen in as the rest of the group got quiet. "Okay? They wouldn't touch Prim," Peeta reassured Katniss.

Johanna pointed a finger in their direction. "Your fiancé's right. The whole country loves your sister." She turned to Avalon. "And while not many remember yours, those who do would protect her with their life. I know I would. If they tortured them or did anything to them, forget the districts, there would be riots in the damn Capitol." 

She looked towards the sky with a bitter chuckle. "Hey, how does that sound, Snow? What if we.. What if we set your backyard on fire? You know, you can't put everybody in here!"