Chapter 12: Complications (Misako POV)

~1 day before the tournament~

"Damn it!"

My back slams against the wall again, and in a flash Cain's fist is mere inches away from my face again. My arms flinch and I turn my face away, only to feel the air pressure hitting my cheeks. The loud bang of Master Abraham's clap grabs Cain and I's attention. He shakes his head, directing himself towards me.

"Once again you hesitate to correctly block Cain's attack. Had he not pulled his punch, who knows how much damage you would've sustained?"

"I just..."

Master Abraham talks over me, cutting me off.

"Enough. There is no 'buts' or 'just' in the Rising Phoenix. You'll gasp out one last word before a sword is driven through your heart. In that time you gasped, you should've dodged...or better yet: redirected the attack of your opponent. Cain, come demonstrate."

Abraham beckons over Cain, and he follows.

"Now, give me your strongest attack. No holding back, no pulling your punches."

"Are you sure?"

Cain's nervousness makes Master's face crinkle in disgust.

"Try to hit me."

Master Abraham holds his hands behind his back and shouts again at Cain.

"Now!"

I sit on the floor and watch Cain as he jumps at Master Abraham, his muscles getting larger again. One swift strike at Abraham's head, and he leans his head to one side. Cain tries to throw another punch, but he moves his head again.

"Grrr...bastard!"

Cain is getting frustrated, his movements are becoming predictable...just one swing after the other at the afterimage of Master Abraham. In a split second, Master Abraham reaches out with his right arm in response to a right hook, gently moving the back of his hand against Cain's fist and causing him to overextend in the wrong direction. Cain trips over air and Master Abraham chops at the back of his neck, making him fall to the floor and losing his enlarged muscles.

Master Abraham turns to me with a slight smile.

"See? You don't need to flinch...and you don't need to pull your punches."

He looks down at Cain, groaning as he picks himself back up off the floor.

"I appreciate the demonstration, Master...it's something more than just...physical awareness."

"Whatever it is, some hot tea might help. How about you and Cain start some guided meditation while I'm gone? I need to check up on your father as well."

"That sounds great, thank you."

Master Abraham walks away, the sound of his cane lightly tapping on the floor fading away when he goes into the kitchen. I take a deep breath, and slink further against the wall, looking up at the ceiling.

"You don't really want to do guided meditation, do you?"

Cain sits down close to me, chuckling softly.

"Hah...not really."

Cain leans closer to me, tilting his head.

"What's on your mind, Misako? The past few days you haven't been at the top of your game...I've noticed."

"It's nothing, really. Just some pre-tournament jitters...haha..."

I don't want to bother him with what I'm really thinking about...