The Funeral

Still Marco's POV

I had pretended to be strong all morning but deep down I was overcome by sadness and anguish. The priest had preached about God having a reason for everything but what could be the possible reason why he would bring us into the earth, give us the ability to love, give us people to love and after that, take them away one by one. To me it was bullshit.

The funeral service was attended by Rodrigo, Aunt Freda, mom's few friends and some friendly neighbors. I didn't see Pedro at the church and I thought maybe he had forgotten and that added to my heart ache. The whole world would have forgotten and I wouldn't feel pained, but with him, my emotions were out of my control.

I was able to control my tears while the coffin was lowered into the grave and as it was covered, but when I was called upon for my funeral speech, I saw him standing at the back with a sad comforting smile on his face and a bouquet of flowers in his hand, I broke down and cried. I felt the emotions hit me strongly, I didn't care if I was on the floor or standing. I couldn't hold it in no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't see who but I felt a pair of strong hands hold me and guide me down from the mini podium and with a hand on my lower back, led me away. I heard the priest thanking the people who attended the funeral before I found myself in a car. I was engulfed in a hug by my capturer and rocked till my wails were reduced to sobs. And when my eyes finally dried up, I was too exhausted so I just kept leaning on the hard chest.

It took a few minutes before his scent hit my nose and I became consious of who had been holding me tight. I opened my eyes and they fell on his naked chest where a button had opened during the hug. I swallowed. I squirmed softly in his arms and he slowly released me. I could have protested about the loss of his warmth if I hadn't been the one to seek my release first. I looked up at his face and it looked like he had been crying too but he was quick to mask it with a small smile.

"Hey" he said softly.

"Hey" I replied.

We were still at the cemetery but everyone had left. I glanced at the new tombstone which was now covered with flowers and the tears threatened again.

"Thank you for coming" I managed to choke out.

"I wanted to. You don't have to thank me" he said and I looked back at him. A lot of emotions crossed his features but the most evident was genuine care and concern. His hazel eyes were fixed on my face, taking my breath away and yet warming me up inside

"And you looked like you needed me here" he said smiling slightly again.

Did I?

"And I've ruined another shirt" I said smiling and he gently chuckled reminding me that that was my favorite sound in the world. His handsome face was dull but at the same time lit up. Somehow. While he laughed, I took the time to look him over. The car interior was big and I knew it was a different one from the usual. He had cut his raven black hair into a beautiful crew cut and I'm not sure I've seen a human being look sexier. His long muscular legs were covered in a pair of jeans and black shoes. His torso was in a black shirt that looked expensive. With a few buttons open, my eyes fell on the exposed chest and I found myself wanting to reach out and touch it. I wanted to peel the rest of the shirt off and run my hands over his abs.

"My face is up here" his husky voice interrupted me and the amused tone told me that I had been caught staring. I felt my pale face heat up in a fierce blush and I looked away.

You are at the goddamn cemetery where your mom had just been buried, this is absolutely no place to be thinking slutty thoughts!

"Sorry" I muttered still blushing.

"Do you want me to take you home?" He asked his tone back to low and concerned.

I had been home all week and I was already sick of the place. Everything in there reminded me of my mom and I didn't want Rodrigo treating me like an invalid. The place held sad memories and I didn't want to be sad anymore.

"No" I finally replied.

"So where do you want to go?" He asked still looking at me.

Anywhere, as long as I am with you.

"I don't know"

That seemed to have told him that I am surrendering myself to his choices and he drove off and again he placed his hand in mine.

I closed my eyes, too tired to do anything but enjoy having his big hands over my smaller one.

*******************************************************

Please vote.

Xoxo.