Second Time

Marco's POV

Alex, Cudi and Kristen became my immediate best friends. After the nerve racking experience with Pedro (that was the name written on the plaque on his desk), I couldn't have been more grateful when they dived in to save me from collapsing under his intimidating aura.

Alex was a graphic designer like I was. Cudi was an electrical engineer, he worked on the engines produced in Hydela Industries, calculate their power, capacity and capabilities and designed most of them (the engines). He also tested them when they finally came to life to make sure his calculations were right.

We all know what would happen if they were wrong.

Kristen was a trademark attorney, making sure Hydela Industries didn't do anything against the law. They had been friends for a long time and I enjoyed their witty conversation so much, I forgot I was meant to be working. And when we all finally remembered that, they all moved back to their cubicles.

For a moment I was proud of myself. I finally had a real job in the real world. I wasn't scared anymore. I wished my father was alive to see it.

Come on Marco! You need to stop being scared. There's nothing out there for you, just opportunities and real life, he would always yell.

And then all at once I was hit with a wave of nostalgia and the tears came. Fast. I tried to dab them away but they wouldn't stop. So I let them flow. When my eyes were finally exhausted, I was ready for the real world. I clicked on the computer, opened the mail and stated reading all I could about the company. The article was really long but I was determined to do well here. Time flew by and the next time I looked up Kristen, the goofiest of the three was trying to pull me off the seat for lunch.

"Who get all serious on their first day?" He said smiling, successfully tugging me out of the seat.

"Just a few more lines and I would be done" I protested weakly while he pulled me.

"I've spent four years in this company and I have not read that disgusting article and you read it in a few hours" Cudi said rolling his eyes playfully.

"Nerd alert" Kristen chirped

"Leave the guy alone, first day is always dull" Alex, the quiet one said pulling me out of their grip.

They kept arguing till we got to the second floor that served as the lunch area.

The others ordered burgers and diet coke while I was too nervous to eat anything so I just settled for an apple and water.

"You have been reading the whole day and you are just going to eat an apple, jeez man you need help" Cudi said stuffing his burger into his mouth

I just smiled.

I found myself scanning the floor for those broad shoulders and hazel eyes. He wasn't in there.  I saw Gloria from the first floor, Becky from the fourth floor and the creepy secretary that took me to his office. Shanice wasn't there and somehow that didn't sit right with me. Maybe Pedro didn't eat here with his employees.

"Are you searching for Pedro?" Alex said startling me

"No" I replied a pitch too high.

"Did you just lie?" Kristen asked laughing and choking on burger in his mouth.

"You've fallen for him already" Alex said smiling

"I've not. I was just curious" I said avoiding their eyes and looking at the apple in my hands like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"Everyone is curious about him. No one knew him till few months ago after his father retired. We always knew Mr. Franklin McFarland had a son but no one saw him till the day we didn't see his father again. Doesn't speak and smile often but he has every lady in this building rolling in the mud for him. You are the fourth employee since he started and the first he has shown the way to a cubicle. he looks to have taken a special liking to you" Alex said sipping his coke.