53. Injured

The house phone in the living room started ringing. Simone apologized and hurried to answer the phone, so I decided to start preparing the lasagna.
Meanwhile, the kitchen was filled with the delightful aroma of fresh herbs and vegetables. Simone had neatly laid out all the ingredients on the countertop, and I looked at them, considering my plan of action. It had been a long time since I had cooked for anyone other than my mother, and I wanted everything to be perfect.
I began by chopping the vegetables: juicy red tomatoes, creamy mushrooms. The knives glided smoothly through the vegetables, and I felt completely in my element. Memories of cozy evenings in the kitchen with my mother resurfaced. She taught me the art of cooking and how important it was to infuse love and care into every dish. I smiled as I pushed the vegetables aside and started on the sauce.
In a large pan, I heated olive oil and added finely chopped garlic and onions. The kitchen filled with the scent of sautéed garlic, always reminding me of the warmth and coziness of home. Once the onions became translucent, I added the tomatoes and a handful of herbs: basil, oregano, and thyme. The sauce started simmering, and the aromas blended into a delightful whole. Next, I proceeded to prepare the béchamel sauce. The butter slowly melted in the pan as I added flour and stirred until it turned a golden color. Carefully, I poured in the milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. The sauce began to thicken, filling the kitchen with a creamy fragrance.
While the sauce simmered, I boiled the lasagna sheets in a large pot of boiling water. They became soft and slippery under my fingers as I gently spread them out on a clean kitchen towel to dry. I loved the texture of freshly cooked lasagna sheets—they would make the lasagna perfect later.
When the sauce was ready, I started assembling the lasagna. I spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish and carefully placed the first layer of lasagna sheets on top. On top of that came mushrooms and slices of mozzarella. The aroma was irresistible, and I could hardly wait for the dish to come out of the oven. At that moment, I realized I had forgotten the crispy zucchini.
I took the fresh zucchini we had bought from the refrigerator and decided to cut it in advance. This couldn't be missing from my lasagna. First, I thoroughly washed the zucchini, grabbed a clean cutting board, and found a sharp knife in the kitchen cabinet. While I was busy cutting, I could still hear Tom's guitar in the background and Bill singing along to the chords. It was clear they were working on a new song, and I could recognize bits of the song "Automatic." I softly hummed along with the music as I focused on cutting.

But before I knew it, I felt a sharp pain in my finger and saw drops of blood falling onto the cutting board. I had accidentally cut myself while slicing the zucchini. With a soft curse, I pulled my hand back and examined the cut. Blood was still dripping from my finger, and I realized this was a deep cut. I quickly grabbed a kitchen tissue to stop the bleeding and tried to tend to the wound. It hurt quite a bit, but I didn't want to draw unnecessary attention, especially while the boys were working in the living room. The music had distracted me so much that I didn't even realize I hadn't been careful enough with the knife.
As I tried to stop the bleeding from my finger, I noticed that the blood was only getting worse, and it began to spurt out. My heart started pounding with panic as I quickly went to the sink to run my finger under cold water. As the blood washed away, I looked around, and my gaze fell on the calendar hanging on the wall, and to my shock, I saw that it was June 2, 2007. Exactly the same date as in my own world when I cut myself in the finger. It felt like a sinister reminder, and the fact that events seemed to be repeating themselves made me lightheaded. I felt myself fading, my vision blurred, and the world around me seemed to fade away. What on earth was happening?