The Opening Ceremony

"Welcome. Welcome all. Back to another year of this, hum?"

The esteemed man, who spoke of these formalities, stood overhead on a steeply-designed ledge, his gloved hands– as fanciful and pompous as the rest of the Capitol citizens.

His clothing exemplified the bulk of its craft, or rather– the craft of the Districts.

"I've no word for the lot of you," he chuckled heartily. "But I will remind you that your lives will not be in vain, all put to a valiant causation.

We salute you, Tributes, and we wish you all a Happy Hunger Games.

And may the odds be ever in your favor."

As the chariots came galloping back, the first and foremost districts had already been shedding off the jewels and appurtenances as most had discarded the tight and incommodious articles that had been either glued, pried, or even worse– tied onto them.

"May the odds be ever in your favor," Beau cackled, as he was disheveling the coat, "I won't need it." His voice was already vexatious, but as he spoke, there was not only a hint of presumption, but a complete streak of his ego that dangled along in his words.

"Beau," Charloette stood idly, clicking her tongue, snapping.

"Why even try? Won last year, and have won times before too."

"Beau, quiet–" Charloette's tone had sharpened, as the words rolled off her tongue, shaking her head as she glanced in the direction of the other tributes– especially Two who had been glaring at them from the moment they arrived. "You're gonna get us in trouble."

"Trouble?" The boy scoffed, his eye on his district partner. "How much more trouble can we even get?"

The girl wasn't having it– her eyes were bouncing back and forth to him– before looking back at all the other tributes– especially Two and Three who were eyeing them. The way he spoke was rambunctious, and the way his words had been articulated– although arrogant, his proper mannerism made the biggest contrast to his opposers around him.

Even she couldn't fathom or replicate the same tone he had given– nor could she even bring herself to do so, as her mind was focused on the four separate individuals whose eyes were set upon hers.

"Not with the Capitol– with the other Districts."

"What're they going to do, Char? Kill me?" Beau's arrogance had piqued a new level, cracking his knuckles– as if to show a pathetic front against the actually trained Districts like Two, Four– and the incoming ones that she would have never guessed like Seven and Ten.

"Are–" Char's voice started decrepit as she placed her hands on her head, an exaggeration that manifested the derisive grin from Two's girl. "Are you an idiot, Beau?"

"Idiot? Who do you think you're talking to?" He stood tall, sizing up with the girl.

Though as evident by the way Smitty had snarled under her breath while Python grinned after as he and Eleksa stepped off their chariot– his height was completely inferior compared to hers as she stood two inches taller than he.

"You– You!!" She shook her head, disapproval shaking her expression as she watched the boy go red– from embarrassment (which she believed was implausible for his prior naïveté) and perhaps, even outrage, she could almost witness the steam blowing out of his ears.

He was fuming as he spoke– stamping his foot into the ground.

"What a baby," Smitty's eyes skimmed his stature as she watched the boy throw a tantrum almost sizable to an infant's, before glancing over at her partner who was having none of it. He was already cleaning himself up as he was wiping the sweat from underneath his helmet, the gold almost melted into his skin as he wiped at his skin, removing any excess of perspiration off.