🜂 | Bridges Have to Be Built

"Psst. Hey."

Kai scanned the hallway. Of course he recognised the voice right away, but where did it come from? For such a sparse place, a ninja could always find somewhere to hide.

"Two steps back."

Ah, there he went. Kai watched Cole's eye–almost the only part of him visible–peek at him from behind an ajar door.

"Did anybody follow you?"

"Oh, cut it off," Kai snapped, although with a smile. He forced the door open and joined Cole and a variety of cleaning supplies in the dim closet. How original; he made sure to let Cole know about his opinion, however, all he got in turn was another one of those bright and irresistible smiles.

"Hey, I made my love for clichés known a long time ago, you knew what you were getting yourself into."

Kai scoffed yet kept his remarks to himself. Instead, he wrapped his arms around Cole's neck and pulled him in for a kiss. Over and over because if he had a sweet tooth for something, it was without a doubt Cole.

"For such a romantic guy like you, this does feel a little cheap." So he could not resist.

"You're right," Cole said, his sincere tone seizing Kai's attention. He leaned back to see his face, eyes expectant. He thought Cole would just tease him back, as was the routine; when Cole remained silent, he raised an eyebrow in inquiry.

"I was wondering... We don't get much time alone together without them disturbing us, so... How about we just ditch this lot and go have a nice lunch? Just the two of us, maybe we could spend the whole day down at the docks..."

"You got me interested," Kai murmured. "Do I have to look my best or am I allowed to be lazy?"

"I know what you're trying to do and it won't work, Firework."

Not liking that, which Kai's frown said clearly enough, he nuzzled into the crook of Cole's neck to ambush him.

"Okay but is there a mandatory dress code?" he asked between his kiss-attacks.

"No sweatpants but it's no black tie event either."

"Mm, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Olive Orchard?"

"Today is a nice day... We could occupy their garden."

"I already called so they would keep a table for us."

"Then I think I'll wear that burgundy shirt."

"Right, burgundy..."

"What?" Kai pulled away again to squint at Cole. "What? Just because you—" However, Cole swiftly derailed his train of thought to avoid an argument they had one too many times. For someone with not the worst memory, it was impressive how fast Kai was to forget when it came to such old moves.

Although he restarted the kissing himself, Cole tried urging with, "We should hurry up if we wanna go now that it's still fine..." He still tilted his head back to give Kai more range; also his hands kept traversing behind the curtains.

"Then it'll be a late lunch, at least it won't be too busy. Let me have my fun too," Kai protested, busy tracing Cole's jawline with his lips.

They could have been anywhere in the world and still not pay it any mind. As always, just a moment alone and all surroundings faded away into irrelevance. They did not even worry why it was that the rest of the monastery stood still and silent, as long as Cole's fingers entertained Kai's skin and Kai occupied Cole's lips with words and actions of the same nature. Humming, Cole swayed them to his own rhythm