THE REMORSE

Kaier woke up to a knock at his door, he rolled his eyes throwing his comforter off. He groaned dragging his feet to the door. He was still hungover from last nights activities and uninterested in having any conversation.

He was even more thrown off when he looked through his peephole and saw his mother on the other side of the door. He sighed swinging the door open, "Hey ma, wassup?"

"Nothing, just checking up on my youngest," She smiled pushing past him.

He rolled his eyes, shutting the door behind her. His mother had never bothered to see him any other time. Since his brother passed he had been making an effort to reach out to him but he was unimpressed by her efforts.

When he was younger he wished he had a close relationship with his mother like his childhood friends. Now that he was older, he felt that it was too late. He knew that his mother was probably feeling guilty since he lost her oldest son, but he felt it was too late to change the relationship they already had.

"Umm okay," He replied as she took a seat on his couch.

"You need to clean your house son," She snootily let out as she crossed her legs, looking around.

His mother was right though, his apartment was never spotless. But since Kane's passing he no longer bothered to clean up. His stuff was laid wherever he decided to leave it, fast food bags remained sprawled across the counter.

"Okay ma," He sighed.

"How are you son? I've been calling I haven't heard from you," She questioned.

"I'm good ma."

"Well you don't seem good look at your place, where is that girlfriend of yours, she can't help you clean up?"

Kaier smacked his lips, dragging his hand down his face. "Ma, we haven't been together in like almost two years. Stop calling her my girlfriend."

She dramatically placed her hand on her chest, "Well sorry son, I didn't know that you don't tell me anything."

"Cause you don't ask." He smartly replied.

"Well, you never answer my calls. How am I supposed to ask you anything?"

Kaier shook his head chuckling, "Ma don't do that. You just started calling me two weeks ago, you barely talked to me before that."

His mother sighed, "Son you know that I be busy. I'm trying now that's why I'm here."

Kaier stood up and headed towards the door, "Well I'm not really interested in catching up and I got stuff to do so I'll talk to you later ma,"

She remained in her seat, almost begging him with her eyes. "Please, Kai. I know I haven't been the best mother but I can't lose another son. I want to do better. I want to build a relationship with you."

He sighed again, "Ma I'll talk to you later, I got stuff to do for Pops," He wanted to explain to her the many reasons he felt it was too late to build a relationship with her. But he was mentally exhausted and he didn't have time to play into her attempt to make herself feel like a better mother. He honestly would have respected her more if she remained the same uninterested mother that she was before.

She sighed nodding her head, as much as she wanted to force him to talk to her she knew that she had to respect his space. As a mother she had ruined their relationship and she couldn't be upset with how he was with her. She could only hope that she could make him come around in the future. "Okay son, we'll I'll talk to you later okay?"

"Yep," He nodded tucking his lips in as she walked past him and out of the door. After shutting it behind her, he sat back on his couch throwing his head back.