END OF THE ROAD

Kaier sighed as he entered the restaurant, he saw his mother who sat in a booth flagging him down. As he walked over to where she sat he reminded himself of the words that Nairobi had spoken to him about giving her grace. He wasn't exactly sure about how he felt about meeting up with his mother, but when she reached out wanting to go to breakfast he figured that he would go.

"Hi son!" She greeted him as she smiled from ear to ear.

"Wassup ma," He responded letting her pull him in for a hug before they both slid into opposite sides of the booth.

"So how have you been?" She questioned happy to be sitting across from her youngest son.

While Imani, knew that she wasn't the best mother she was hoping that she could build some sort of relationship with her son. For some reason, she had convinced herself that she still had years to build a relationship with her sons despite them being 20 and 23. Losing Kane made her realize that they were indeed on borrowed time and nothing was promised.

Kaier nodded, "Cool just doing shit for Pops."

Truthfully that was how he had been spending most of his time, if he wasn't working he was spending most of his time in his own space. He had realized that occupying his time with drinking and going out wasn't going to solve any of his problems. Outside of Noah and Nairobi he had seized most conversation with his friends unless he ran into them while he was out. Like Nairobi had told him many years ago they were always a part of something negative that was taking place in the city. Now that he was doing his best to avoid those problems he was starting to realize that.

"That's good keep an eye on your dad for me please," She pleaded.

Kaier chuckled at his mother's request figuring that his parents weren't in contact at the moment, "Yall beefing or something?"

Imani shook her head, "No, I moved a little bit after the funeral and I haven't really seen him since then. It's no beef though," She explained shocking Kaier.

His mother moving out was definitely news to him, as far as he knew his parents were on and off like they usually were, but his mother had never actually taken the initiative to leave their home.

Imani and Sekani met at 15 years old and had their first child by 16. By the time they were eighteen and only months past their high school graduation, they had two children. Imani could admit that having kids while she was still a kid greatly affected her ability to be an engaged parent. Instead of spending time with her children, she chased behind her longtime boyfriend.

Anyone who knew anything about the couple remotely knew that Sekani could never be faithful. He spent most of his nights away from home and in someone else's bed. A well-known face around the city most people knew that money came as no issue to him. What started as a side hustle that he participated in with his friends turned into a lucrative business that gave him access to most things that he wanted.

What started off as a young loving relationship between the couple, became a tumultuous relationship that affected their children more than they knew.

Kaier saw his parents as more of his friends than his parents. Most of his childhood was spent at his grandparent's home, and when Kane became old enough they stayed at home. While their parents took lavish vacations his dad only arranged as an apology or left their children at home to entertain others in an attempt to make each other mad.

After the passing of her first born Imani had finally hit her breaking point with Sekani. She had realized that despite their love for one another they simply couldn't get it right. She felt extremely guilty that she spent years neglecting her kids in hopes of making their relationship work. Since the funeral, Sekani had been avoiding their home like the plague.