Chapter 6

~Eraserhead's POV~

I left for patrol earlier today, inspired by Shinou's determination to be a hero, not that I'd ever admit it to anyone.

It had been a fairly peaceful night. Until, that is, I saw someone racing through the the streets. They seemed almost desperate, as if they would die if they stopped running. Since they were running too fast for me to get a proper look at them, I decided follow and wait for them to stop.

It took a while, but it seemed my patience paid off for once. I hopped down into the alley and carefully approached them.

"Who are you and why were you running?" I asked, my words coming out gentler than expected.

The person looked to be an eleven year old boy. His body was covered with pale, old scars of any shape and size. Burns, whips marks, coughed out flesh, he had it all. Although, they were all at least ten years old. Or maybe, this was an effect of some healing quirk. Whatever the matter, it was highly concerning.

Beneath the scarred flesh however, he was jacked. Dirty, messy hair went down to his shoulder blades, covering his face along with it. He seemed to be breathing hard, but even with my hearing, I didn't hear anything.

As soon as he heard my voice, he jumped away from me, landing on all fours for some reason. 

His fighting stance was unusual, but it was polished. I could tell he had experience. I should defuse the situation. Fighting him won't end well for either of us.

"Hey, it's ok. I won't hurt you." I crouched, speaking in the most soothing voice I could muster. 

The boy didn't move. He didn't even twitch.

"You can calm down." I reassured him. "I am a pro hero. I won't let anyone hurt you."

This time I got a reaction. Not one I expected nor wanted however.

The boy started audibly cackling. His body swayed from side to side as he slowly stood up, his back hunched, and his face shadowed by his hair. His whole body shook as he laughed. Throughout the whole ordeal however, he remained surprisingly quiet. His laughter was quieter than an average lecture teacher. It was almost a whisper, but also seemed loud at the same time.

All in all, it was definitely on the creepy side of things I encountered during my hero career.

"Um, are you alright?" I decided to interrupt.

"Not at all." He croaked in response. "It's hilarious, really."

"What is?" I asked.

"'I won't let anyone hurt you'." He quoted my previous words in response. "You will protect me, huh? Even from myself? Will you protect others from me? Will you protect me if I break the law? Will you protect yourself? What if you break the law and lose your hero license? Will you protect me then?"

In my entire three years of being a hero trainee, and six years of being a pro hero, never once have I been this confused other than in a math exam. 

The boy giggled once more, amused by my dumbfounded expression. "Oh well. You don't have to answer."

"Alright." Uncomfortable silence stretched throughout the alley, before I broke it again. "Why were you running earlier? Do you need help?"

"Yes, actually." He replied affirmatively. "It has been roughly 110464200 seconds since I have been kidnapped. I am unsure how many weeks that makes, but my brother must be worried about me. Can you take me to him?"

"Kidnapped?" I asked in slight disbelief.

"Yes. I escaped just now. That's why I was running earlier." He nodded, his posture tensing up slightly. "Why? Do you not believe me? Typical heroes."