Chapter 8

~Ryujiki's POV~

I tapped my foot impatiently, glancing at the digital clock on our desk. The seconds kept ticking, drawing closer and closer to midnight.

It has been a whole week since I escaped. Hitoshi kept going to school of course, and our mother kept going to work. Our father left and I haven't seen him since. While being alone at home, I caught up on all the news. I signed up for online school on our old family laptop, and started eating more than once a day. All in all, life was good.

Is what I would say if I wasn't jumping at the slightest noise.

I couldn't sleep at night. The tiniest shadows reminded me of them. The smallest whirr of a car engine made me hide under the covers.

So tonight, I decided to leave.

Not forever of course. Just for a small walk around the neighbourhood. A change of scenery tends to help people recover from traumatic experiences, according to google.

I haven't left the house since I got back, and although I was scared, sitting inside all day would only worsen my anxiety. I need freedom, as scary as it sounds.

A small beep pierced the night air, announcing midnight.

With a final deep breath, I stood up from my bed. I was fully dressed in Hitoshi's black sweatpants, and black hoodie. 

The door will creak too much. I should climb out of the window. Our house is only one story so it should be alright.

With trembling hands I opened the hatch, sliding the glass to the side. My whole body shook as I lifted one foot and hopped out, embracing the fresh night air.

And just like that I was outside.

A small breeze blew through my newly cut hair, sending small chills down my spine. I pulled up my hood and took off in a small jog down the road, in the opposite direction of where I was kidnapped previously. Even through the window, I couldn't look at it. This is partly why I kept all the curtains closed. That and the sun was too bright for my taste.

As I jogged deeper into the city, the buildings got taller and darker.

This is so nice, I breathed a sigh of relief. Being cooped up inside all week really was a bad idea.

As I kept jogging, my anxiety wore off, replaced by a sense of peace.

The city lights glimmered through the streets. The grey building blurred together as I just ran, enjoying the silence.

However, the beautiful silence was suddenly interrupted when I heard a heart stopping scream pierce the night air.

Owwwwwww.

I covered my ears with my sweaty palms, frowning at the sudden noise. I always hated loud noises, and that hasn't changed. If anything, it got worse.

I turned to where the sound came from and began speed walking in it's direction. Soon enough I ended up at the entrance to an alley.

Found you.

A woman was in the process of being stripped by three men. All three men were armed with guns, while the woman was crying her eyes out and shivering in the cold breeze. She sobbed loudly, releasing another scream. I rubbed my temples, trying to prevent a headache.

I froze when I realized one of the men were looking at me. His eyes were glowing ruby red in the night, and red patterns were illuminated on his face.

Cool quirk I guess. A little creepy, but cool nonetheless, I scratched the back of my head through the hood.