Chapter 12: Start the Countdown...

Harlan: You alright?

Eda turns to Harlan, surprised that he asked.

Eda: Yeah... you?

Harlan: I've been better.

Eda accepts this response. She remembers something.

Eda: Hey Harlan?

Harlan: Yeah?

Eda: The girl we fought a while ago... not Thena...

Harlan: What about her?

Eda: I think you know her. She said... she said you took everything from her... eight months ago.

Harlan turns to Eda, and Eda sees it in his eyes, he knows.

Harlan: Vero.

Eda nods slowly. Harlan takes this in. Suddenly, a ping. Eda takes out her phone to see a message notification from Cletus.

Eda: What in the...

Eda opens the messages app to see a video message, with Robbie and Thena with a beaten up Cletus.

Eda: Dad-

Eda shows Harlan the phone.

Eda: What are they gonna do to him?

Eda looks at Harlan, hoping for any answer, but Harlan doesn't reply. He stops driving. Eda looks to see that they arrived back at Harlan's hideout. Harlan gets out of the car and Eda follows him inside.

Harlan and Eda walk into the familiar room filled with files and photographs and documents. Eda walks next to Harlan.

Harlan: Play it.

Eda plays the video.

Thena (video): Harlan Brandle, Eda Clement. This message comes from Directress Chase Delvey herself. You have something we need, and we have something of great value to one of you. We will give you twenty-four hours to respond to this message.

Robbie (video): Or else daddy-o here bites the dust.

Thena (video): Twenty-four hours.

Robbie (video): Tick tock... tick tock... tick tock...

The video ends. Eda looks at Harlan. Harlan looks at Eda, then turns away to think. Eda looks at Harlan as he takes out the USB containing the files they transferred from the penthouse.

Eda: No... there has to be another way.

Harlan: It's your father-

Eda: HE'S WITH THEM!

Harlan: HE'S STILL YOUR FATHER!

Eda: SO?

Harlan: I CAN'T TRADE ANOTHER LIFE.

Eda: WHY???? WHAT IS SO IMPORTANT ABOUT HIM? WHAT IS SO IMPORTANT ABOUT ME?

Eda stops shouting, and she looks at Harlan... vulnerable. Really vulnerable.

Harlan: We are saving him... or we will try to... or I will die trying to. You understand me?

Eda nods.

Eda: I'm coming with you.

Harlan: No. I won't let you.

Eda: I'm not giving you a choice.

Harlan: It's too dangerous.

Eda: What do you want me to do? Go back home? I HAVE NO ONE. I can't go home, my father is being held hostage by those psychopaths, I can't go to my friends because apparently their parents are evil... and you came back for me. I am a part of this now, more than ever, whether you like it or not.

Harlan nods.

Harlan: Alright.

Harlan thinks for a moment.

Harlan: Give me your phone.

Eda gives it to Harlan. Harlan starts typing.

Eda: YOU'RE REPLYING TO THEM??

Harlan: Not them.

Eda: Then... who are you-?

Harlan: A friend.

Harlan rereads the message before sending it.

Urgent. Analyze please.

HB

Eda: You have friends?

Harlan clicks send.

Harlan: I do. Just one.

After a while, a reply.

Green Dagger Bar. Tomorrow, noon.