Chapter 8

Sitting on the bed beside Harry who was resting, Loki carelessly flipped through the book in his hands. He was bored and wanted to go cause a little mischief on the Avengers, but he refused to leave since Harry seemed to sleep more calmly when someone was beside him.

Setting his head back against the headboard, Loki looked over at the sleeping wizard. There was just something about him that Loki felt drawn to... something that made him want to change what he'd done before and try to be better.

Reaching out, Loki ran his fingers through Harry's hair, something he'd become addicted to doing. As his fingers ran through the locks, the door opened and Natasha walked in with a scowl on her face.

"Thor wants your help with something. He says your magic will help him and you can be done quickly as opposed to him doing it alone and causing you more trouble with it later."

Sighing, Loki set the book aside and stood up, "What has that blundering oaf done now?"

Shrugging, Natasha said, "I didn't ask he just said to fetch you so I did. It's not my business what your brother needs help with if it doesn't have to do with the end of the world."

"Will you be staying here while I'm gone?" Loki asked, glancing towards Harry.

"I will be. Bruce told us it's a good idea to keep an eye on him in case he has any problems until he's better." Natasha said, walking forward, making sure she could see Loki at all times.

"I shall return quickly," Loki said, leaving the room after one last glance at Harry.

Walking over to the bed where the sick Wizard was, Natasha stood, staring down at the teen. How Fury could have been deceived into accepting false and incomplete information she'd never know... maybe getting an alliance had been more important than getting the truth.

Sighing, Natasha sat in the chair beside the bed, ready to keep an eye on the teen until Loki returned to keep watch over him. While she wasn't happy that Loki was free and able to roam around, fully capable of causing mischief, he was the only one that could help Harry get better and he had not caused any problems so there was no need to ship him back to Asgard yet.

Grabbing one of the magazines sitting on the bedside table, Natasha started flipping through it, not really reading the articles.

About five minutes later, she heard a moan and looked towards the bed, watching as Harry tossed his head from side to side, bleary emerald eyes slipping open, looking around the room until they fell on her.

Leaning forward, Natasha opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by a raspy voice.

"Mum? Is that you? Am I dead? Do I finally get to go with you and Dad now? I'm tired I don't want to fight anymore. I don't want to be a weapon anymore." Harry spoke, eyes filling with tears before they slipped down his face, leaving wet trails in their path.

Feeling sadness well up in her, Natasha reached out and held his hand with one of hers and used her free hand to run her fingers through his messy hair, trying to soothe him.

"Rest. Just close your eyes and sleep. You aren't a weapon anymore. We won't allow it. You're safe here and you can be yourself with no obligations to anyone." Natasha said, feeling sad for the life this teen had obviously had to lead, remembering her own, rough childhood.

"His life has been full of sadness and nothing but being used and abused." Loki's voice came from behind her.

Tensing, refusing to show any more signs that she was surprised, Natasha glanced at Loki before turning back to Harry.

"Something I feel you are familiar with." Loki continued, walking to the other side of the bed and sitting on the edge of it, looking across at Natasha. "I may not be able to change what I did before, but, even though I'm sure this means nothing to you or your fellow Avengers besides maybe Thor, I will not do anything to take over this world. I allowed my anger and jealousy at Odin and Thor take over me and I allowed myself to be used by the Chitauri. I refuse to allow myself to be taken over by that anger again. I refuse to be something that..."