Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17 | Tension❀

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐔𝐍 filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the breakfast she was eating at the cafe, where Blair found herself sitting, picking at her food as Skylar and Emily chattered on about their plans for the day. Despite the cheerful atmosphere, Blair's thoughts were consumed by the uneasy feeling that she couldn't quite shake off.

"Blair, are you even listening?" Skylar's voice broke through her lost thoughts, and Blair forced a small smile, nodding in response.

"Sorry, I'm just not feeling great this morning," she muttered, hoping to deflect the attention away from her troubled thoughts.

As the conversation around her continued, Blair's mind wandered back to the story Skylar and Emily had shared about Cole and his brother, Alex. It was no secret that there was tension between the two, and the revelation about Cole's involvement with Alex's ex-girlfriend only added fuel to the fire. Blair couldn't help but wonder if there was more to the story than what she had been told.

The unspoken tension between the brothers weighed heavily on Blair's mind, especially considering her growing closeness to Alex. She couldn't deny the pull she felt toward him, but the thought of getting caught in the middle of a family feud made her uneasy.

Her thoughts soon drifted to Cole, Alex's complicated older brother. Despite her best efforts to keep him away from her most times, there was an undeniable attraction about him that both intrigued and unnerved her. His easy smile and piercing gaze had a way of drawing her in, but the rumors and stories surrounding him painted a picture of someone not to be trusted.

"Blair, are you sure you're okay?" Emily's concerned voice brought her back to the present, and Blair forced another smile, this time a bit more convincing.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just not hungry, I guess," she replied, pushing her untouched plate of food away. Blair's mind continued to swirl with unanswered questions. Was there more to Cole's past that she didn't know about? And where did she fit into the complicated fued between the two brothers?

                         ❀

Blair stood at her locker, her mind occupied with the whirlwind of emotions that had consumed her since that morning. The sound of approaching footsteps drew her attention, and she looked up to see Alex, his expression reflecting a blend of concern and uncertainty. Before she could react, he lightly poked her shoulder to get her attention.

"So, this is all pretty crazy," Alex began, his voice tinged with a mix of empathy and confusion.

"About you punching your brother," Blair snapped, her frustration bubbling to the surface.

"Look, if you had your brother making out with the girl you were in love with during the summer, you'd have trust issues too," Alex replied, his tone calm as he attempted to explain.

"Oh, so you love her?" Blair says madly, her voice edged with both anger and sadness.

"No, I did not... I thought I loved her, but I didn't," Alex stutters, the panic evident in his eyes as he struggled to show his feelings.

Frustration and hurt surged within Blair, and she slammed her locker shut with a loud slam before turning away from Alex.

                             ❀

Blair stood in the cafeteria line. As she reached for a plate, a certain someone drew her attention, and she looked up to see Cole storming up towards her.

"Where's Alex?" Cole demanded, his voice sharp and urgent, his eyes filled with intensity.

"I don't know, Cole. Even if I did, why would I tell you?" Blair murmured back, her tone laced with frustration. "Just leave him alone," she added desperately.

"Oh, so you're on his side now?" Cole shot back, his annoyance beginning to show as he narrowed his eyes at Blair. "Of course I am. Alex is the good guy here,"

"And You think I'm the bad guy?" Cole questioned, a note of hurt creeping into his tone. "You think you're not?"

"Don't worry about it. I'll find him myself," the hurt shown in his eyes as he turned away and walked off, leaving Blair feeling a pang of regret and frustration at the way their interaction had unfolded.

As the cafeteria buzzed with activity around her, Blair let out a heavy sigh, knowing that the rift between her and Cole had deepened.

                       ❀