Chapter Nineteen

Chapter 19 | Hearts Unveiled                      

                                              ❀

𝐈 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 the hospital, my heart still racing from the worry that had consumed me on the way there. As I entered the waiting room, I saw Cole sitting alone, his expression a mix of relief and  fear.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, taking a seat next to him and placing a comforting hand on his arm.

"The doctors say he's stable right now," Cole replied, his voice tinged with both exhaustion.

"That's good news," I said, trying to offer some reassurance.

"It was such a scare. Our family means so much to me, and if anything happens to him, I'll blame myself for it," Cole admitted, a tear slipping down his cheek.

I reached out and wiped the tear away, and Cole looked at me with a vulnerability I hadn't seen in him before. I took his hand in mine and rubbed it gently, trying to show my support without saying a word.

"Hey, Cole, shut up talking like that. You're an amazing brother, and Nathan will be just fine. It's  precautions, probably. Just try to cheer up for Nathan's sake," I pleaded, hoping to lift his spirits.

"You're right," Cole said with a sad laugh. "Sorry, I'm such a pain in the ass." "Cole, you're not a pain in the ass to me," I said sincerely.

"Thank you for being here for me and coming in straight away. It means a lot to me that your here" he said, managing a small smile. "Of course, Cole. I'll always be here for you whenever you need me," I replied, feeling a warmth spreading through me.

As he looked at me deeply with his loving eyes, I felt that unexplainable spark again between us it consumed me, and for a moment, I found myself leaning in closer. Just as we were on the edge of something happening , As Cole began to shift next to me, we both jumped as his mom coughed, interrupting the moment.

"Nathan's okay for tonight, so we're gonna head off now. Are you guys coming?" she asked, her tone carrying a hint of suspicion.

I hesitated, feeling a rush of emotions and unspoken tensions lingering between us. "I'll stay a bit longer," I said, meeting Cole's gaze, silently conveying my support before turning back to his mom. "You go ahead. I'll make sure Cole gets home later."

As she nodded and left, I turned back to Cole as we both looked at each other, and we both knew that this unexpected turn of events had brought us closer in a way that neither of us could ignore. As Unspoken tension hanging in the air between us.

                                                   ❀