Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four | Echoes of Regret

𝐀𝐒 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐄𝐃 off, leaving Cole and Blair alone, Cole turned away, overwhelmed with embarrassment at being seen in such a vulnerable state. But Blair, ever determined, followed his gaze, her eyes fixed on him, seeing through the act he tried to maintain.

"Help me understand," she implored, her voice soft yet insistent. "Help you understand what?" Cole shot back, his emotions bubbling to the surface. "That I don't even know who I am or what I'm doing anymore," he admitted, feeling the sting of tears welling up in his eyes.

"I know things are hard for you right now, but if you let me, we can fix them together, Cole. You gotta let me in," Blair pleaded.

"I don't wanna fix anything with you," Cole retorted sharply. "I just... I want you," he confessed, his words stumbling out as he struggled to say what he truly felt.

"What, Cole?" Blair's tone shifted, reflecting her confusion and frustration. "What do you want?" she pressed, searching his eyes for answers.

"I want you to have never come here," Cole murmured quietly, the words slipping out before he could stop them, his attempt to push her away and shield himself regretfully taking form.

Instantly, regret washed over him as he saw the hurt flash across Blair's face. "Well, I want my family to have never died," she responded, her voice catching on unspoken pain. Cole's heart sank as he realized the depth of his mistake. He should have taken back his words, but it was too late.

"Well, I guess we want the same thing," Blair said softly, her eyes glistening with unshed tears, before turning and walking away, leaving Cole standing there, consumed by the weight of his own foolish actions.

"Blair, wait!" Cole called out, his voice filled with desperation, but she didn't turn back. He watched her disappear into the night, feeling a sense of loss wash over him. It was a familiar feeling, reminder of the moment he had lost everything he had ever known—like football slipping through his fingers through his injury. This time, it was something far more precious than a stupid game: It was the one person he had come to love.