Ten | Deal

CELESTINE

I was looking for Arnaud to make sure he had not fainted and died when I stumbled upon Uncle's office.

The door was slightly ajar making me peek inside and they all were in the middle of a serious conversation to even notice me eavesdropping.

In conclusion, they need a woman who can play the role of a wife to our enemy all the while spying on him so that they can finish him off slowly and internally.

Sounds fun, to be honest. My summer break started from this week and I am free for a long time now which means...

I pushed open the door further, stepping inside and announcing confidently, "I volunteer."

"NO." Everyone spoke sharply in unison making me startle.

"Why not? I can do this."

"We are not choosing you for this," Dad stated. "End of discussion."

"But I can do this!" I whined. I looked at Marcelo. "Please, let me."

"Focus on your studies," Arnaud added. "You don't have to worry about all this."

I shot him a glare. "You shut up. My break is going on, I am free."

Arnaud glared back at me and opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by Cyrus. "No daughter of this family will be a part of this mission."

"Why? Do you think I am not capable? You all trained me alongside Armano and Kian, I can protect myself."

There is no discrimination in this house, all the girls received the same training as the boys and we had the choice of working for the mafia but I opted out of it, even Ada and Lenore did except for Alamea who will be the third in command to Armano when he takes over.

"No", Marcelo said sternly. "This conversation is over, please leave, Cel."

Offended, I huffed. Maybe I was acting like a spoiled girl but I just wanted to help them.

I didn't feel like staying another moment so I left, walking away angrily.

A couple of seconds later, Arnaud caught up to me, walking beside me. "They are right, it's dangerous."

"Who's plan was this?" I turned towards the garden, sliding open the doors and stepping out for some fresh air.

"Mine."

I snapped my head to him, shoving my finger against his chest. "You know I am capable of this, I am good at pretending. You should have taken my side."

He turned serious, going from my best friend to the mafia leader he was. His features hardened and he stepped forward making our chests brush together.

His eyes met mine and he spoke in a low voice, "I will never put your life in jeopardy. Your safety is my first and foremost responsibility whether you like it or not."

I have always felt safe with him, always trusted him but hearing him say it out loud made me feel warm and tingly.

I averted my eyes from him, looking to the side. He placed his palm over my cheek, cupping and turning my face towards him. "Tell me you understand, angel." This time, he spoke gently, releasing my cheek.

"I do but still I want to help."

He sighed. "Not happening. Enjoy your life instead of all this."

"If not me then who else would you choose? You are willing to put an innocent woman's life at risk but not mine?"

He looked exasperated and angry, his jaw clenching as he gritted out, "I don't give a fuck about anyone else but you. As long as you are safe, others don't matter."