Nineteen | Mom?

CELESTINE

"These are your college books..."

Arnaud took me to the room which he initially showed me where a desk was set up against the wall with lots of books and stationery on it.

He picked up a spiral sketchbook. "Your sketches are in here...you never showed me though so I haven't opened it. Maybe you can go through these and see if they remind you of something."

I appreciated how he didn't go through the things that I didn't want him to. "Why didn't I want you to see?"

Leaning against the wall, he shrugged. "You said you wanted to surprise me."

"Oh, I'll go through them then..."

I ran my fingers over my books, searching through my brain trying to remember anything at all. I could feel Arnaud's eyes burning at the side of my face.

Last night, I slept alone. He said he had some work and would sleep later. When I woke up this morning, his side on the bed was warm but he was nowhere to be seen.

What if he is avoiding me...? But he is so sweet and he didn't leave my side since breakfast. Maybe he does have work and because of me he is unable to do it.

God, I am being such a burden to him.

Glancing at him, I said in a small voice, "You must have lots of work to do."

For a second, I was caught off guard with the way he was watching me with an almost dream-like look in his eyes but at my question he blinked rapidly. "I do...but--"

"Then you should do it, I will be okay."

He shook his head. "No. I can do my work from here itself."

"Arnaud, please. If you have to go anywhere, you should. I will be okay now, I am going to read anyway."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Yes. I'll message you if anything happens."

He looked unsure but I was fine physically, mentally, I wasn't sure but I can manage.

I sat down on the desk, picking up one of the books, flipping it open, I pretended to study while his eyes remained on me.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw him move closer and I waited with bated breath until he stood right next to me.

Despite him being my husband already, my heart yearned for him badly especially when he brushed his knuckles against my cheek before leaving.

.
.
.

Someone was at the door as they rang the bell for the second time. I already heard it the first time but I spent a minute contemplating whether to check or not.

Arnaud has lots of security around his house and he even mentioned that only selected people can enter so if they are ringing the doorbell then they must be important.

I hurried to the front door and opened it slowly, peeking out. A middle aged woman stood on the other side, sunglasses resting on her hair which was almost grey, face slightly wrinkled and there was something familiar about those hazle eyes.

"Yes?" I asked politely.

She seemed a bit confused to see me. "Celestine. Arnaud must be home then."

"Um...no...he went out for work a few hours back."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry but who are you?"

She frowned. "We did meet once, an year back. Did you forget me already?"