Twenty-One | Argument

CELESTINE

It was midnight and Arnaud wasn't home yet.

He did message me in the evening that he would be late and even told me to have dinner and sleep early but that's it.

This is way past late which makes me worry.

I called him twice but it went straight to voicemail so I left him one where I asked him if he was okay.

When the third time he didn't pick up either, I searched through my contacts until I landed on the one named 'Dad'.

I met with my family the other day and the more time I spent with them, the more better and familiar I felt.

Even if my Dad looks scary, I felt safe and comfortable with him within an hour.

My uncle Marcelo is Arnaud's brother in law and my favourite uncle apparently but I didn't meet him yet so I didn't bother calling him.

I felt bad for disturbing my dad so late at night but I don't want anything to happen to Arnaud.

He picked up on the third ring, his voice hoarse indicating that I woke him up. "Cel?"

"Um...sorry to disturb you but...I need your help."

I could hear the rustling of sheets in the background and he sounded alert now. "What is it?"

"Do you know where Arnaud could be at this time? He said he would be late but it's midnight and I am just worried."

He hesitated before speaking, "He must be...out for work."

"What work could he have at this hour?" I argued. "Does that mean you know where he is?"

"I don't know where exactly he is but I'm sure he must be safe. You should go to sleep and not stress--"

"He's my husband." I snapped. "I can't sleep without knowing if he's safe or not."

"He is safe." Dad stated firmly. "He is capable of protecting himself."

"You say that as if he is well trained in martial arts."

Dad sighed. "I will contact him and let him know you are worried about him. Is that okay?"

"He is not picking up my calls. How will you contact him?"

"I have my ways. Now, can you please sleep?"

"No. I refused to sleep until he is back home safe, so do whatever you want and contact him and then let me know."

Instead of agreeing with me, he chuckled softly making me frown. "What's so funny?"

"Even without your memories you are still the same stubborn Celestine." He added after a pause. "I am glad about that though."

"Whatever. I'm hanging up."

Ending the call, I paced around the house, waiting for Dad to call me back.

I was near the front door when I heard the familiar roar of an engine making me sigh in relief. He's here.