005

FINALLY, AFTER SITTING IN A GRIMY cell for what feels like forever, Plumb unlocks the door and guides me to the Sheriff's office, which is filled with file cabinets, bookcases, etc.

If I'm being completely honest, I would hate to work at a job like this. Firstly, you have to deal with wackos all day, and secondly, it has to be exhausting physically and mentally.

"Wait here." Plumb says as I sit down in the chair facing Peterkin's desk.

I scratch my brow, causing me to lift up both of my hands, which are still cuffed. "It's not like I was going anywhere..."

Plumb scoffs in response, rolling her eyes before walking out of the office. Out of all of the law enforcement, I'm positive Plumb hates me the most. I don't care, though, because I don't like her, either.

Once I'm sure Plumb is far away from the office, I start to kick the bottom of Peterkin's desk, bored out of my mind. There's not much to do besides try to make a beat with my shoe and the desk.

As I listen to my self-made beat, I find my thoughts wandering off to what will happen after I get released. If I get released, that is.

What if they keep me in here all night?

What if my parents don't want to pick me up?

I'm snapped out of my thoughts once the door to the office is swung open. I look up, my eyes falling upon Peterkin, who has a stoical look on her face.

The dark skinned woman looks at me, shaking her head as she holds a stack of papers in her hands. "Marley, you're here, again..."

"Surprise."

Peterkin shakes her, taking a seat in her spinny chair. "Not really," She shoots a glance at me. "You were here not even a week ago." She refers back to the time when I bashed that man's hand into the lighthouse's window, earning me a few hours in a cell.

"Did the dude need—?" I try to ask if the man needed stitches, but Peterkin interrupts, clearly not having time for any questions.

"I'm gonna cut right to the chase. You've been charged for assault, unlawful possession of a firearm, and trespassing."

I sigh, throwing my head back in annoyance. I know what I did, and Peterkin's given me plenty of time to think about it, so I don't understand why she can't just release me, or, like, do whatever she has to do.

"Okay, so, will I have to have a sleepover here, or...?" I question with slight attitude, although I didn't intend for it to come out that way.

"No. Your father is coming to pick you up, but I do wanna talk to you." Peterkin answers, her attention divided between me and the papers she's flipping through.

My brows furrow as I shoot her a confused glance. "Alright,"

I'm confused on what there's to talk about. I mean, unless there's something else going on that I don't know about, I thought I was in the clear.

The woman of authority clasps her hands together, resting them on her desk. "Marley, you come from a good family. Why are you acting out like this?" She furrows her brows, a pinch of concern in her voice. "I mean, you've always been a little reckless, but never as reckless as you've been recently."

'Good family' is an understatement. My parents treat me like shit, yelling at me for the most minor inconveniences, freaking out on me if I get a bad grade, insulting me if I forget to do a chore. There's nothing 'good' about my family, but, of course, I'm not going to tell her that.