014

We pull up to the Limbrey's home after what feels like eighty hours of driving. "Yeah they're a bunch of fancy people, they've had like three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for like three hundred years." Kie says.

"These kooks make our kooks look like pogues." JJ says as he looks out the window and at the big house that's surrounded by a gate.

"You sure this the place, Pope?" I ask, as I raise an eyebrow at the creepily dark house.

"Pretty sure." Pope mutters.

"Alright." I say as JJ opens the door and lets me and Kie out.

"That's city for sure." JJ says.

"Twenty seven king street." Pope says as he holds the letter up.

"Talk about home security." I say as I look at the sharp fence.

"Are those spikes to keep people out?" JJ asks as he looks up at the spikes on the top of the fence.

"No." Kie sadly says in realization.

"Slaves quarters were over there." Pope says as he points towards the back of the big yard. "These spikes were to keep people in." He finishes with a sigh.

We walk up to the door and Pope uses the old thing that makes the whole house echo. "Think that was too much?" He asks as he turns to look back at us.

"Yeah, it's echoed the entire house so they definitely heard it, that's for sure." JJ sarcastically says.

"Do you think nobody's home?" I ask.

Pope knocks on more time but the door opens when he goes to knock for a second time. "You must be Pope." The guy creepily says as he looks around at the four of us.

"Um.. are you Mr Limbrey?" Pope asks, we thought a girl would be answering the door.

"Miss Limbrey, was expecting you yesterday." The guy says, emphasizing the word 'Miss.'

"Oh I'm sorry- my car broke down on the way up here-" Pope apologizes quickly.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of nowheresville." JJ cuts him off.

"Sorry about that." I apologize with a tight smile.

"Yeah she was uh.. real upset when you didn't show up." The guy says as he keeps his gaze on me, eventually turning to look at Pope.

"We tried to call but there was no number.. on the invitation." Kie speaks up as she looks down at the letter. "Got here as fast as we could." She adds quickly.

"She also expected you to come alone." The guy says as he looks at Pope.

"I mean- these are my friends, they helped find the Royal Merchant too-" Pope explains as he looks around at us.

"Yeah- the instructions were explicit, your friends could stay outside." The guy cuts him off.

"Well we're kind of a package deal man-" JJ starts.

"JJ. It's ok, I got this." Pope says, interrupting the boy. "I'm good." Pope nods as he looks back at Kie.

"Yeah, we'll be right here." Kie says, whispering the last part.

"Keep the car running." Pope says as they interlock hands. Me and JJ share a look.

"Yep." She responds with a worried look.

We walk to the truck and hop in. "Yo, that was weirdly creepy." I say as I lean back into the seat.

"That's what I was thinking, he was like aggressive about us being late." Kie chimes in.