006

MY BODY TENSES ONCE MY EYES ADJUST to the sight in front of me; my parents standing in the doorway, their eyes filled with anger and displeasure.

I manage to force a smile, attempting to push down my feelings of uneasiness and anxiety. "Hey, Mom and Dad." I hope my voice is stronger than I feel.

It's obvious that my parents aren't here for any good reason, but I don't want my sister to pick up on that. She'll probably ask questions, and I'm in no mood to answer any of them.

"Kiara, can you give us and your sister a minute alone?" My mom murmurs, scratching her brows as she looks down at her fancy sandals.

The curly haired girl shoots a glance at me, a smidge of confusion and suspicion in her expression. "Sure," She responds after I give her a nod, indicating everything is fine.

"Thanks,"

My twin exits the room, shutting the door behind her. The sound of the door clicking shut sends chill down my spine, instilling in my body that I'm not alone with my parents. Nothing good happens when I'm alone with them.

Whenever me and my parents are alone, my body is always filled with uncertainty, uncertainty about my feelings towards them, uncertainty about why they hate me so much, uncertainty that racks through my mind every second of every day without fail.

My anxiety-level is like a graph, which is always at a high around my parents. They never fail to send jolts of fear through my veins, causing me to wonder if simply just being in the same room as them is even healthy anymore.

I struggle to make eye contact with either one of my parents as they walk over to the foot of the bed. It's painfully clear that they're very upset with me, not even my near death experience being able to decrease their frustration.

"You're out of the house." My dad lowly states, his eyes filled with something I can't quite decipher, no matter how badly I want to. 

"Okay,"

"That's all you have to say?"

I nod at my mother's question, forcing my eyes to stay dry and dull. "What else can I say?"

My parent's glance at each other, my short response leaving them at a loss for words, which I've never seen happen before.

My mother and father always have a counter argument to everything I say, no matter if I'm silent, angry, happy, or sad. They somehow always know what to say, and when to say it. It's quite impressive, honestly.

But, now, it feels good knowing that, for once, I was able to reduce them to silence, giving them no room for argument because of my lack of emotion.

I've finally won at something.

                                        ___

Fortunately for me, since I'm out of the house, I don't have to take my parent's orders anymore. (At least, that's my thought process). So, when they asked me and Kiara to take a small shift at 'The Wreck', I declined with ease, leaving me to relax as my sister busts tables, waiting for the pogues to arrive.

As I scroll through an article about 'The Royal Merchant' on my phone, I start giving my future some thought, which I never do, given the fact that I haven't really looked forward to it since I was a young kid.

If me and the pogues were to actually find the gold, it would set us all up for life. Actually, it would probably set up our own kids for, like, their whole life, too.