02

A king went into exile, and the new one had no interest. Instead of devoting himself to his people, Arthur Curry was only interested in his new family .... on land. So the new ruler of Atlantis alternated between water and land.

"Say nothing," Arthur raised his hand dismissively at the sight of Norvina, who was beginning to know the redhead, "Your face speaks volumes.

"I've lived in the belief that you could make a difference," Norvina ignored Arthur's request and looked at the king with a sober expression, "Even though you're here, here in Atlantis, you're up on land. Your body is down here, but your mind is still up there. It..."

"Have you always been like this?" Norvina was interrupted by Arthur in a brash tone, "You talk a lot... but no one understands you. You could be the one who writes the sayings for fortune cookies. Please, just once, express yourself clearly."

"Your brother was a king. You, on the other hand, are like a substitute who steps in when the real king is gone," Norvina replied in a contemptuous tone, gradually becoming unable to bear Arthur's behavior, "Being king is a life's work. A ruler dedicates his life to his people, to the beings in his realm.... But you, you come and go as you please. Orm may have seen the people as subjects, but he was still here. Always. How do you know what Atlantis is really like if you're hardly ever here? YOUR realm.

"And Orm liked you? I'd be surprised if you talked to him like that," Arthur laughed, making Norvina's look of contempt barely distinguishable from disdain, "All right, okay, um.... I know you.... we both want the same thing, all right? I'm trying, really...."

".... not trying. Do it!" Norvina interrupted Arthur coolly, gesturing towards the city, "Right now everything you do is doomed to failure. You can't be up here and up there at the same time. You've been king for four years now, but how well do you actually know the kingdom? Not even close. When it comes down to it, a fifth....a sixth. No one needs a part-time king.

Being king wasn't just a job. A job you could quit at any time if you no longer wanted it.

People have a history of honor. Not one that ended well because the wrong person was chosen, but the people decided who got the honor.

When the enemy was at the gates, the Romans abolished democracy and appointed one man to protect the city. And it was not considered an honor, but a service to the people. But the last man the Romans chose to protect the Republic was Caesar, and he never relinquished his power.

Even though the Romans did not see it as an honor, a single person was entrusted with an enormous trust, the protection of a city.