13

Their worst fears had come true.

The flames were burning brightly when they arrived. The entire house, or what was left of it, including the lighthouse, which lay on the ground and was barely recognizable as such, was in flames. A fire can spread incredibly quickly, but this one had been raging for some time.

No one needed to ask what that meant. Someone, Kane, had long since paid Arthur's father a visit.

Panicked, Curry ran up the stairs to the house as they arrived, followed closely by Atlanna and Mera. They called out, but no one answered.

None of the four thought that it might be a trap. It was out of the question. A trap? Why would someone like Kane set a trap?

The panic was compounded by fear when a man dragged himself out of the house. It was Arthur's father and Atlanna's husband, Tom, who was barely responsive and apologized for taking Manta Junior.

Perfect.

"We'll get this... maybe," Norvina joined in, kneeling on the floor next to Atlanna beside Tom, pressing both palms to the spot between his neck and tailbone and starting to nod in slow motion before grimacing, "Um... that doesn't feel good. He needs help. Urgently. His body can't hold it for long, and I can't take care of him for long..."

"How long?" Atlanna wanted to know, looking at her eldest son who had taken Mera in his arms.

"Five minutes, ten at the most. I don't know," Norvina shook her head because the man was not doing well, "He has too many wounds that are leaking blood and I can't keep it in his body for long. His lungs aren't working properly thanks to the smoke and his temperature is rising. Hey, Mera.... Mera! Come here. You can cry later. Right now I need you to keep him cool, okay? There's nothing we can do for the boy right now, but we can help him."

This could probably have been said a little more kindly, carefully, or considerately, but it often helped to confront people directly with the hard and unpleasant truth when it came to focusing on the essentials.