07

A stingray approached Norvina, who was sitting over several old books about Atlantis and its realms that she had received from the library or from Atlanna, and was leafing through them.

Eons ago, Atlantis was founded by King Atlan, and under his leadership it became the most powerful and technologically advanced nation on the planet.

•••

During the first invasion of Earth, the armies of Atlantis joined forces with the Amazons and tribes of humanity to repel the army of the Darkside and prevent the apocalyptic conqueror from destroying Earth. Aided by the Elder Gods and Yalan Gur, the armies of Earth fought the invaders at great cost.

•••

As time passed, Atlantis developed a number of new technologies centered around their greatest achievement. The discovery of an inexhaustible source of energy that allowed for the development of engine runners, advanced aircraft, and Atlantis' mighty trident.

During a test of the trident, a powerful pulse of energy radiated outward, destroying Atlantis and causing it to sink into the sea with great loss.

As a result of the catastrophe, Atlantis and its empire fragmented into seven successor kingdoms. Atlantis itself formed its own kingdom, while others, such as Xebel, the Deserter Kingdom, the Fishermen, the Trench, the Brine, and the Lost Kingdom, emerged from renegade factions.

Over time, the seven realms underwent significant changes, survived, evolved into new forms, collapsed, or died out altogether. Atlantis and Xebel survive to this day, retaining the original characteristics of the ancient Atlanteans. The Kingdom of the Fishermen evolved into fish-like beings and are considered to be conflict-averse. The Brine Kingdom evolved into a crab-like and brutal race. The Trench Kingdom degenerated into savage creatures that could neither speak nor think intelligently. The Desert Kingdom became extinct when the Sahara became a desert. The Kingdom of the Lost is said to have disappeared completely, leading to it being called "lost".

This fall had an unexpected side effect. The energy pulse affected the survivors' biology, giving them the ability to breathe underwater and/or develop superhuman strength to survive in the deep sea. In addition to the biological enhancements, the survivors used the power source to rebuild their shattered civilization, even as the Atlantean Empire crumbled.

After the fall, the distraught King Atlan took the trident and went into exile, never to be seen again. His last words were copied onto a recording device, leaving clues to his whereabouts for future generations.

Interesting, but not what Norvina was looking for and wanted to know.

When the stingray had come, Norvina had merely glanced up, whereupon the animal had dropped a small red stone on the table.

The sunken citadel. And there was trouble there.Who could be responsible for this?

///////////////

And remember, we as authors are dependent on comments.