-𝕮𝖑𝖆𝖓𝖌, 𝕮𝖔𝖘𝖙𝖚𝖒𝖊𝖘, 𝕻𝖎𝖑𝖔𝖙-

-The Devil You Know-

-Chapter Three: Clang, Costumes, Pilot-

"...A friend"

As a hero laid on the floor, their blood fully in their own lungs, having drowned on it, the girl responsible stood in front of them.

She had her sword sheathed, if anything it looked like she didn't even want to fight, but regardless she had to be put to justice.

"Alright...now listen" You said, going to step forward, but Ava put her hand on your chest.

"Let me handle this one" She interrupted you.

Truth be told, she felt completely useless the other day during the bank robbery, she was desperate to prove herself, some would argue too desperate.

She dug around a satchel for some supplies, taking out a single nail as she prepared to throw it, all while you looked back.

You realised that if she threw it, then the nail would no doubt become to big for the alleyway, going through some of the adjacent buildings.

"Ava, wait" You tried to stop her.

However Ava was too desperate to prove herself, so she pushed you back further, the killer on the other end of the alley only watching, not moving to attack.

"Ava no!" You tried to yell, but it was too late.

Ava threw the nail as far as she could and used her power to enlarge it, and exactly what you thought would happen happened.

The nail didn't even reach her, as it turned horizontally when she grew it, as it went straight through the two buildings on either end of the alley.

"Shrink it!" You yelled, running to the nail, as Ava did so.

When she did, bricks started to fall from the building to the right, as you could clearly see it was no longer structurally sound.

You wasted no time rushing in as more and more of the support started to fall, brushing off a few bricks that fell on top of you.

You made your way around the building, taking all the people you could find and bringing them to the street, as they watched their lively hood crumble.

Ava stood there frozen, she was so desperate to come across as strong or as strong as you, but she had only fucked everything up.

And worse still, the girl just stood there, watching her. She slowly started to back up out of her line of sight.

Ava had a choice of chasing the killer or staying to help you clean up the mess she had made, she was struggling to choose when she heard the building you were in rumble.

You were still in the building, and had helped out almost all of the people inside, there was only one person to save.

However you didn't know that until you looked to the back of the interior of the building to see a young boy, crying as dust from the floor above fell on him.

You knew that was a sure fire indication the floor was about to crumble, so you rushed over, hopping the counter to where he was.

It was lucky you did so since a few seconds later and the whole roof fell down,  you were just able to catch it as you crouched down, looking at the crying child.

You tried to lift the rubble, but your footing was off and the roof was still cracking, you didn't want to risk it coming apart and crushing the child.

"AVA!" You yelled, hoping for a reply.