Chapter 7 - The fragrance of love

Numerous factors can evoke memories,

yet none are as powerful as the fragrance of the past.

Some are unexpected and fleeting,

while others have the ability to conjure the magical moments of childhood.

Magnus - 13 years earlier

Magnus lay on his back, gazing upward through the visor of his helmet into the expanse of an inky sky, arching overhead like a huge dome. It was a crystalline night, devoid of any clouds, allowing the stars to adorn the firmament like an array of miniature diamonds. It was a sight that took Magnus's breath away, a rarity in a world where the atmosphere had drastically altered. He struggled to recall the last time he had witnessed such an abundance of stars.

That evening, he and Alec had sneaked out of the bunker, seizing the opportunity to gaze upon the starry sky together. They had only informed Izzy and Jace about it so that one of them could warn them if the weather changed or any other imminent dangers encroached.

Now he and Alec lay side by side on the rooftop of the One World Trade Center, looking up at the sky. No words were exchanged, nor were they needed. This familiar silence between them was pleasant and entirely sufficient. Over the past four years, since they had known each other, they had become so close that they could enjoy each other's presence even without extensive conversations. Especially since they officially got together a year ago.

If Magnus had known that love could feel like this, he probably would have searched for it sooner, or rather, he would have yielded to Alec's efforts to win his heart earlier. However, he hadn't known, and at the beginning, he had been too afraid and hesitant to follow his growing feelings for the alpha. His mother and stepfather hadn't exactly provided the best guidance when it came to understanding this uplifting sensation called love.

"What are you thinking about?" Alec asked.

Magnus turned his head to the side and saw that Alec was watching him.

"Us," Magnus responded.

A faint smile graced Alec's lips, barely discernible in the darkness.

"And my mother," he added.

The inquiring sound that followed his words made him sigh. He shifted his focus back to the sky. He wondered if his mother watched over them from above.

"I wish I could tell her about what true and genuine love feels like."

Magnus seldom broached the topic of his mother; the memories were too painful. Alec knew this and didn't probe further. He allowed Magnus to reveal his past at his own pace, if and when he chose to do so. Tonight was not one of those times, and Alec respected that boundary, a gesture for which Magnus held deep gratitude.

"What do you find yourself missing most when you reflect on the time before the catastrophe?" Alec redirected the conversation.

Magnus pursed his lips in thought.

"I'm not sure. I've never thought about it, to be honest."

"Never?" Alec asked. He sounded visibly surprised.

"No," Magnus admitted. "My past doesn't contain many memories that I like to think about. How about you?"

Alec hesitated before responding.

"The aromas," he finally said. "I miss the aromas that once pervaded the air of this city."

Magnus laughed in surprise. Such a revelation had not been within his expectations.