Chapter 10 - The scars we bear within our hearts

Words possess tremendous power.

They have the ability to quicken a heartbeat, evoke a smile, mend wounds, and provide solace.

However, it is crucial to exercise caution and mindfulness.

Words also wield the potential to inflict pain and suffering.

Therefore, choose your words wisely.

Alec - present

Alec had scarcely slept. Restlessly tossing and turning, he finally rose at the crack of dawn. If this pattern persisted, the three cups of coffee he consumed each morning would soon lose their efficacy. The bags under his eyes had grown so pronounced that one might have thought he had engaged in another duel with Jace.

Yawning heartily, Alec ambled down the corridor. The coffee had yet to fully take effect, but this changed abruptly upon reaching his destination: Magnus' living quarters. All at once, he was wide awake, his heart pounding nervously in his chest.

Rather than knocking, Alec found himself simply staring at the locked door in front of him. He had asked for his first meeting with Magnus to be private, unlike Luke's initial suggestion of a grand reunion with everyone else. Alec surmised that such an event might be overwhelming for Magnus, as well as for the two children. And for himself, too—they wouldn't be able to delve into the important matters.

However, at this moment, he wished he weren't alone. The upcoming reunion with Magnus was tinged with excitement, fear, and doubt. Fuck.

He ran a hand over his face in frustration. His mind wandered to the conversation he'd had with John yesterday about Magnus.

"There's a possibility that the twins are mine," Alec confessed.

John had handled the news of his missing ex-boyfriend's return relatively well so far, but this revelation hit him hard. Not surprisingly, Alec thought.

"You can't be serious," the omega said. Sadness and horror permeated his voice, and Alec didn't know how to react.

"I don't know for sure yet, but you don't have to be a maths genius. The twins are eleven years old. Magnus disappeared twelve years ago."

John made a sound as if he'd been wounded, It was breaking Alec's heart.

He held out his hand, hoping John would take it. He did. Thankfully.

Alec pulled him near until they stood very close.

"I'm sorry," Alec whispered, planting a kiss on his husband's dark hair. John didn't respond but pressed his face against Alec's shoulder.

"It's okay. It was before our time."

Alec made an exasperated sound. Even now, John managed to be understanding, though the news pained him.

"It's all my fault," Alec said.

John shook his head. "Don't blame yourself for your ex-boyfriend coming back to New York. You didn't even know he was still alive."

"I still feel bad. I can see it hurts you."

John let out a long, deep sigh.

"It won't be easy, but we'll get through it. I trust you."

The door in front of Alec was pulled open, jolting him from his thoughts. A boy stood before him, eyeing him suspiciously.

Alec's breath caught when he saw him—such a resemblance to Max, with only the hair colour not quite right and Magnus' eyes.