Chapter Forty-Eight ~Zaria

I've never known what true fear felt like until this very moment. Because the voice I've been hearing whisper in my head for so long is now whispering right next to me. It's not just in my head but it's all around me, sending shivers down my spine.

My goosebumps now have nothing to do with the cold. In fact, the anger rising in me warms my body to an almost burning feeling that the cold feels refreshing. My back sears with pain and heat just feeling the presence of Eden, like it's called to her and it won't let go.

And as I turn around, I see her. At first, it's the subtle outline of her black and red gown and then the tips of her wispy hair. Her skin looks paler than I once remembered, her fingers looking too skinny to be healthy.

I furrow my brow and swallow before looking her in the eye. Her black eyes pierce into mine and there is no distinction between her iris and pupil. The darkness of her eyes looks too large to be human. She's not human, I remind myself. More like a demon with a pretty smile.

Her eyes glint with a suspenseful satisfaction and her lips turn upwards. And there is her smile that once made me feel so confused, but the beauty of it now just makes me want to throw up because I've seen that same smile time and time again on John's face.

I clear my throat and it echoes throughout the cave. I plant my eyes on her and refuse to break eye contact. "I'm flattered," I say in response and cock my head, winking.

She laughs and I can feel the vibrations under my feet. "Confident, are we?"

I shrug. "I seem to have something you want. You need me alive," I say.

She frowns and makes puppy eyes towards me. Softening her voice, she speaks three octaves higher. "That's funny because I seem to recall it being you just a few moments ago bawling our eyes out in the sparring room."

My heart drops but I keep the mask on my face unbreakable. But I guess it doesn't matter. She smirks and giggles to herself. "Yes, Zaria. I've seen it all. Every single moment you've lived since that mark was put on you," she says pointing to the shoulder that carries the brunt of the tattoo. "I must say, you are very small. It was interesting to see the world so close to the ground."

I roll my eyes and she takes a step closer. I can now smell her perfume. It's sickly sweet and makes me cough as she gets closer. "You know you're going to die. Just accept it."

"I have," I say through coughs. "But you haven't."

"And what's the supposed to mean?"

It burns me to have to explain myself to her when I know just how deep she's in my head. "The mark is a slave mark. I'm not stupid. I have something you want and you will do anything you can to get it from me."

She tisks. "See, you are smart. But intelligence, hmfp, seems to be lacking. You have something I need, yes, but," she throws her hands up like a toddler does when they make a mistake. "I'm afraid I can't get it with you alive."

I can feel it. For a split second, I let the mask fall from my face and her smirk becomes wider.

"Yes, yes. Very sorry. I wish there could be some other way to make this bargain work, but I'm afraid not."

"You want my power," I tell her, getting more agitated by the second. "That's all you want. My power because you don't have yours anymore."

"Where did you ever get that idea from?" she asks, circling me.

I keep her in front of me and spin with her. "The wall. You possessed John and when he was locked in that cell with the barrier, your power died within those walls. From the looks of things, it seems as though you used a lot of power on him."