Epilogue

It's been 109 days since the Winter ball. 109 days since the Winter Ball. 109 days since I thought I caged a monster. Oh, how much things can change just in a matter of weeks. I try my best to go to sleep. Sinking into the mattress I sigh and try to get comfortable. I'm almost asleep until a knock sounds at the door. I let out a tiny groan before forcing myself to get up and open the door. Ignoring the pain all around my body I trudge my way to the door and open it.

"Axil," I say sighing and feeling as though everything might be alright, that is until I see the look on his face. "Are you alright?"

For a moment he just stands there like he's forcing himself not to move. For a fraction of a second, his eyes betray him looking down ever so slightly. I look down at his hands, but he hides them behind his back.

"Are you okay? Is everything alright?" I rush to grab his hand but he backs away just a step.

His eyes lock on mine. I've seen his eyes every night in my dreams. I was never able to escape them. Now, I don't recognize them, like his eyes are meeting mine for the first time... and I don't think I'm going to be able to escape them either.

"Axil?"

Before I know it, he wraps his arms around me, defeated. I feel him sigh and then just like before I passed out it only hurts for a second, but then something bigger washes over me. Question after question, but only one mattered.

"Why?" My voice lets out a tiny whimper.

He looks at me with tears brimming in his eyes. One slips down his cheek falling onto mine. "I'm sorry," he says before pulling a bloody sapphire dagger out of my back as I fall into his chest. Everything fades to black around the edges, until my lungs can't fill with air anymore. The soft prickling of ash kisses my skin as I slump, unable to stand any longer. I don't feel any torment, but the pain in my heart is agonizing.

"Zaria." He says my name.

Just my name.