Ghost Of A Man

A/N: I hope you write your own version of this too, Remi 🗣️

In the 40s, Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter knew a man named Howard Stark. To them, he was an intelligent, kind, sarcastic, charismatic man.

In the 2010s, Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter know a man named Tony Stark. To them, he is an intelligent, kind, sarcastic, charismatic man.

It has happened from time to time where Tony says or does something that makes Steve and Peggy think they are back in the past, conversing with Howard. When this happens, the couple usually turns to each other, wondering if they had the same flashback.

Tony, Pepper, Steve, and Peggy were drinking champagne, talking the night away. They sat in the Avengers tower living room. Tony's arm was around Pepper as he was retelling a story — the time he accidentally made his twins' cake explode.

"Oh my goodness," Peggy laughed as she slapped Steve's lap. "Were they upset?" she asked, staring at Tony in amusement.

"Very," Pepper replied, her eyebrows raised as she eyed Tony. "But he made it up to them, bought them each a car that they couldn't use for a few years." She rolled her eyes as she said this.

"Really? I haven't seen them driving any new cars," Steve said, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion, a tiny smile upon his lips.

"Well, I did say a few years, didn't I?" Tony said with a shrug. Pepper laughed, turning to the other two in front of her.

Steve and Peggy didn't laugh, they simply looked at Tony in awe. A Stark had said those exact words a few decades ago, in the exact sarcastic manner. They quickly shared a glance before Peggy took a sip of her champagne and Steve cleared his throat.

"What was that?" Tony asked, frowning and pointing at the two.

"What was what?" Peggy answered his question with another question. Although a smart woman, she was always good at playing dumb.

"The weird look you guys gave each other." Tony wasn't going to let this go, but Steve and Peggy weren't going to budge.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Steve said into his champagne glass before taking a big gulp.

"No, I—"

"Oh, honey, you're being weird," Pepper let Tony know as she elbowed his side. "This is why we don't have friends. You're always starting something."

Peggy laughed at that. She could totally see it — Tony being an instigator like his father. "The Tony Stark doesn't have friends?" Peggy asked in a mocking tone. Thank you, Pepper, for changing the subject, she thought to herself.

"Please, I have plenty of friends," Tony scoffed, waving his hand dismissively. He took a swig from his glass and sighed.

"Who?" Steve questioned. "You must mean outside of the Avengers and SHIELD, right?" He smirked at Tony. Ever since Steve knew him, he had never seen Tony talk to anyone outside of who he needed to talk to.

"Yes. Plenty, I said!" Tony reiterated, sitting up straighter. Better posture, better confidence, in his opinion.

"Name some," Pepper challenged him. "Come on, name at least one friend we have outside of SHIELD. I'll wait." She looked him straight in the eye and drank champagne.

No names came out of Tony Stark's mouth.

* * *

Peggy strutted into the room. She saw Tony, Steve, and Natasha going over the plans to travel to a different country for a mission.