X - The Origins

A/N: rewriting our OCs backstories 🫡

Odile Nova never met their parents. Every memory of their childhood was from the mutant orphanage they grew up in. Odile never knew if their parents were mutants or not, in fact, there were never any records of them.

Placed carefully on the doorstep of the orphanage home, Odile slept peacefully in a big picnic basket. The basket had a big orange blanket in which baby Odile laid.

Miss Nydia, the older lady that ran the orphanage, opened the door to find poor baby Odile, left on the doorstep on a rainy night. She immediately took Odile in. There was no letter, no instructions left behind. The only thing there? A name sewed onto the baby's blanket: Odile Nova.

Odile was a peculiar-looking mutant baby — their hair was completely white, their eyes were red-orange, their fingertips were tainted black, and they had black-and-white ink-like streak marks on their limbs. Odile carried on with these physical features into their childhood.

At age 13, when other normal tweens were beginning puberty, Odile learned how to generate black-feathered wings from their back. Odile could make them appear and disappear with ease, causing all of their shirts to have two big holes in the back.

With time, Odile learned to control their physical appearance. By age 15, Odile could make their red-orange eyes look brown, they could make their ink-like stains disappear, and they dyed their hair black with red-orange streaks.

At the mutant orphanage, the mutants were given choices for their extracurriculars. Odile chose ballet. Nydia was the one that taught Odile how to dance. She even gifted Odile jazz vinyls from when Nydia was a young dancer herself.

Although, Nydia loved every mutant that came in and out of the orphanage, she had a special bond with Odile. They reminded Nydia of her younger self, back when she had a passion for dancing.

When Odile turned eighteen, Nydia gifted her a one-way ticket to France. It was Odile's dream to attend the most prestigious ballet school there. Odile was more than grateful.

Odile rushed upstairs to pack their bags. As they packed, they heard gunshots. Odile ran out of their room, zooming down the orphanage staircase to where the lobby was.

There, Odile saw Nydia, laying on the floor, gunshots in her chest, blood all over her. Odile let out an ear-piercing scream. Her eyes turned orange again, her black wings generated from her back, and her black-and-white ink marks on her limbs seemed darker now.

This was a mutant raid by the government. For decades, the mutant orphanage had been a secret, but now, they had been discovered.

Odile could water-bend, but this was the first time that they had ever done anything like what they did that day. Odile flew up from the floor, flying right above the soldiers with guns.

Odile stretched out her hands, full of rage within them, and they started blood-bending. Blood-bending, a stronger, more powerful branch of water-bending, was lethal.

With all their might, Odile controlled the blood flow inside all the soldiers' bodies, using it to control all their movements. They all dropped their weapons, groaning in pain. Odile, blinded by hurt, extracted all the blood from their bodies, making them bleed out from their eyes, mouths, ears, and noses. The soldiers' lifeless bodies dropped to the floor.

Odile grounded themself again, running to kneel beside Nydia. They sobbed, holding Nydia's hand. "We have to run," Odile said, their voice cracking. "Come on, let's go."

Nydia groaned. "Odile," she calmly placed a hand on Odile's arm. "I'm not like you... I'm not a mutant," she confessed.

After years, it was only hitting Odile that they had never seen Nydia use any sort of power or ability. Nydia was a human, driven by kindness and selflessness, trying her best to protect parentless mutants.