Chapter 16: Plan

(So sorry I havent updated! I've been super busy and forgot to update. Prepare for this long as chapter.)

I knew we were running out of time. After all, Kestrel might just come down the hall right now and kill Glory. She wouldn't even care if we all saw her do it. I knew everyone was thinking hard about how to escape.
"What if we tried talking to them? Maybe we could convince them to let her go instead?"
Sunny said hesitantly. Glory snorted. Nobody answered.
"Sunny... that's not gonna work. They'd never listen. You know that. I mean... have they ever listened to us?"
I replied. I saw Sunny's face sadden. Sunny pressed her wings back against her sides.
"You have an idea."
Clay said to Tsunami.
"I can tell. You have been working on an escape plan forever."
Tsunami hissed.
"It is too dangerous. It was supposed to be me."
Tsunami said. I saw Tsunami glance her eyes to the river. The river? We have only ever gone upstream into the guardians' cave. And downstream, the river flowed from the main cavern along the tunnel into the battle cave and then... oh, wait. Where did it lead after that? The roof of the battle cave sank lowed and lower until the river disappeared. I never thought to where the river went to. But of course, Tsunami has.
"Where does the river go?"
I asked Tsunami.
"Do you know where the river goes?"
Clay added.
"No- I mean, I've seen a gap in the wall, but it is even smaller than the one that leads to the guardians cave. I have never been through just in case I could not go back. But the river has to go somewhere."
Tsunami replied.

"Can we get out that way?"
Clay asked.
"Not all of us, only me."
She said.
"And me."
Clay added.
Tsunami shook her head.
"Clay, you can't. We have no idea what's on the other side. You can only hold your breath for an hour- you could get trapped, with no air and drown. And you can't see in the dark, like me. You would be swimming blind into who knows what. It has to be a Seawing who goes. It has to be me."
I stood up straight next to Sunny. I wasn't that much bigger than her. Starflight stood next to me.
"And even if you did get out."
Starflight said.
"How would you find us again? How would you get back to this cave from the outside?"
He asked.
"The sky hole."
Clay said.
"You guys could start a fire in the study room, and I will follow the smoke back to you. Then I will know that the entrance is close. Once I find it, I will let you all out."
Glory's eyes glinted.
"I can think of a few scrolls I would love to burn."
I chuckled. I smiled at the shocked expression of Starflights' face. Before placing my wing around him. He smiled a little.
"Yeah, me too."
Clay added.
"Throw The Sluglike Qualities of Mudwings on there and think of me."
"Stop joking about this."
Tsunami cried.
"Clay, you can't go, and that is final. You will almost certainly die."
She added.
"But Glory will die if I don't. Right? There is no other way."
Clay said. Tsunami growled and thrashed her whole body, straining against the chains. The heavy links pressed into the scales of her neck, and she stopped with a cough.
"Wait, you won't be able to see the smoke until daylight. Won't Kestrel come for Glory before then?"
Sunny said. She was right. What if our plan doesn't work? What if we did all if this for nothing? Glory smiled, and her scales shifted into a warm, rosy pink.
"I know what to do."
She started.
"The Starflight method."

The Starflight method?
"Act like a lump and hope no one notices you?"
Tsunami said sarcastically.
"Hey!"
Starflight protested. I chuckled.
"Exactly."
Glory said. She crouched down to the floor. Slowly, as if the stone was eating her alive. Grays, browns and blacks crept all over her scales. All of her beautiful colours faded away. The shadow and crags behind her appeared perfectly reproduced, as if the dragonets were seeing right through her. She closed her eyes and vanished.
"Wow."
Sunny said faintly.
"I mean, I knew you could, but... I'd never..."
"The guardians don't know I can do this."
We all jumped as we heard Glory's voice come from the top of a stalagmite.
"I gues it's a good thing we never studied Rainwings after all. I'll find a corner and hide. You don't even have to risk the river, Clay. I could just stay like this."
Glory said.
"For how long?"
Starflight said.
"Until you starve or one of them catches you accidentally?"
He added.
"Tsunami was right earlier. We do need to get out of here, as soon as we can."
Clay said.

(Thank you all so much for ready. I'll try and update again soon. Have a good day/night)

Words 846