Prologue

A dragon was trying to hide in the storm. Lightning flickered across the dark clouds. Hvitur clutched his fragile cargo closer. If he could make it over the mountains he could escape and be safe from them. He managed to escape the Sky Palace unseen. The secret cave was so close...

But his theft had not quite been stealthy, as he thought it would be, and eyes that are as black as obsidian where tracking him already from below.

The enormous dragon on the mountains ledge had pale gold scales, that attracted the heat, like a deserts horizon. Her obsidian black eyes narrowed, as she watched the gleam of silver wings high up into the clouds.

She flicked her tail, behind her two more dragons arose from the sky behind her, they dove right into the heart of the story. A ear bleeding scream echoed across the mountains as their Talons seized the snow coloured dragon.

"Bind his mouth!" The waiting dragon ordered the soldiers, as they dropped Hvitur on the wet ledge infront of her. Hvitur has inhaling, getting ready to attack at any moment.
"Quickly!" She ordered.

One of the soldiers grabbed a chain from the pile of smoldering coals. He threw the chain around the Icewings snout, it clamped his jaws together, with a smell of sizzling coals on his burning white, dragon scales. The poor dragon Hvitur let out painful muffled screams.
"It's too late." The Sand coloured dragon spoke.
"You won't be using your freezing-death breathe on us, Icewing."
"He was carrying this, Queen Burn." Said a solider, handing a dragon egg to Queen Burn. Burn squinted at the dragon egg in her Talons.
"This isn't a Icewing egg. You stole this from the Sky place!"

The Icewing stared back at her. Hissing steam violently circled in his snout, which the burning chains met his cold white scales.
"I guess that you thought you could get away unnoticed, didn't you Icewing?" Burn questioned Hvitur.
"My Skywing ally is not stupid. Queen Scarlet knows about everything that goes down in her kingdom. Her lookouts reported a Icewing, sneaking and stealing. So I decided to find you myself and add some violence to my lame visit to the Sky Kingdom." Queen Burn held the large Skywing egg up to the light of a fire and turned the egg slowly. Red and gold glowed below the smooth, pale surface.
"Yes. This Skywing egg is about to hatch." Burn mused.
"Why would my sister send you to the Skywing Kingdom to steal an egg? Blaze absolutely hates any dragon, and prettier then herself." Burn thought for a minute as rained spotted the land around them.
"Unless... the brightest night is tomorrow..."
Her tail flicked up like a scorpions tail. Her poisonous barb inches away from Hviturs blue eyes.
"You are not in Blazes army are you? You must be one of those inspired underground peace-.makers."
"The Talons of Peace?" One of thr soldiers spoke.
"So they're real?"
Burn snorted.
"They're a few worms crying over a little bit of blood. Unwrap his chains. He won't certainly won't be able to freeze us, until his scales cool." The enormous female sandwing leaned closer as one of the soldiers pulled Hviturs chain away.
"Now tell me icewing, do you actually believe in that old Nightwing prophecy?"
"Don't you think that enough dragons have died from your war?" Hvitur snarled, wincing from the pain in his jaw.
"The whole of Pyhirria has suffered from the last twelve years of war. The Nightwings prophecy says--"
"I don't care about the prophecy! No prophecy decides what happens to me." Burn interrupted.
"I'm not letting a bunch of words or baby dragons choose if I die or if I bow to one of my sisters. We can have peace when my sisters are dead and I am crowned Queen of the Sandwings." Her tail inched closer to Hvitur.

Rain landed on Hviturs scales. He glared at Burn.
"The dragonets are coming, whether you like it or not. They'll choose the next Sandwing Queen is."
"Really?" Burn stepped back and turned the egg of Sky slowly between her Talons. Her black forked tongue slipped in and our of her smile, that spread across her face.
"So tell me Icewing, is this egg apart of the pathetic prophecy?" Hvitur went still. Burn tapped lightly on the eggshell with one of her Talons.