1.4

"Right then, Rose Tyler", the trio stood around the console looking at the rotor in the centre while the Doctor questioned Rose, "You tell me. Where do you want to go? Backwards or forwards in time? It's your choice. What's it going to be?"

"Forwards", she replied with no hesitation and a bright smile.

"How far?"

Her eyes widened. Too many possibilities. Shrugging, she decided, "One hundred years."

He moved a glass orb upwards, "There you go. Step outside those doors, it's the 22nd century."

"You're kidding", she gasped, grinning at her equally excited sister.

"That's a bit boring, though", he pouted, "Do you want to go further?"

Rose looked at Winnie and then shrugged, "Fine by me."

"Ten thousand years in the future", he moved the orb again, "Step outside, it's the year 12005, the new Roman Empire."

Winnie snorted and Rose had a smug smile, "You think you're so impressive."

The Doctor smiled triumphantly and winked at Winnie, "I am so impressive."

Rose crossed her arms, "You wish."

The Doctor tilted his head at Winnie who shrugged as if to challenge him. So he nodded and took the orb again, "Right then, you asked for it. I know exactly where to go. Hold on!"

Rose immediately unwound her arms to hold on to the console as the Tardis shook around, they landed with a thump, the rotor stopped moving and she asked, "Where are we? What's out there?"

The Doctor gave her a grin and nodded, allowing her to go to the doors and look outside. Rose led the way outside, then the Doctor gave Winnie a smile and as they both headed after Rose he put a hand on her back to push her ahead. They walked down some steps and when they stood in front of a set of shutters they descended to open.

They saw Earth, much closer to the sun than Winnie remembered it, but undoubtedly, Earth. Or a double thereof. Her jaw fell open slightly in awe and she looked up at the Doctor for an explanation. He smiled.

"You lot, you spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never imagine the impossible, that maybe you survive. This is the year five point five slash apple slash twenty six. Five billion years in your future, and this is the day- Hold on", he looked at his wrist watch, just as the sun flared red towards the Earth, "This is the day the sun expands. Welcome to the end of the world."

They stared and watched for a moment as the sun flared a little longer. Winnie grabbed Rose's hand and they both squeezed. As an announcement played over the speakers they started to wander.

"Shuttles five and six now docking. Guests are reminded that Platform One forbids the use of weapons, teleportation and religion. Earth Death is scheduled for fifteen thirty nine followed by drinks in the Manchester Suite."

"So, when it says guests", Rose began to question as the trio walked along a hallway, "Does that mean people?"

The Doctor swayed his head a little, "Depends what you mean by people."

Rose furrowed her brows and squinted her eyes, "I mean people. What do you mean?"

"Aliens."

"Wait, are there still humans?", Winnie said, "Like, do we still exist or do we, I don't know, get with other species to survive. Or, or - well, we're definitely not down there anymore, so, so, do we have a colony in another solar system? Where we live like nomads, or where we've built a whole new civilisation?"