Chapter 49

Chapter 49

"It's a rogue," Cain walked in, his hand tightened around a man who was entirely blanketed with dirt. "He's willing to give some of his blood in exchange for some cash. I'll take him down into the basement and get his blood drawn out before panic rises around here." He continued, glancing at me and then at his brother.

"I don't like the taste of rogues," I whispered, quietly, stating my preferences while my throat was desiccating along with the rest of my body.

Cain gave me a death stare, "It's your only option. Not like you're going to live a long life with your body denying everyone's blood." He replied before letting out a scoff and leaving the room.

I tried not to focus on the rogue with him. I needed the right—he was right. Without blood, I was going to go into a crippling trance, forcing me to become the darkness.

Knox placed his arm over me. My shoulders lowered before I rested my head over his chest. The air was filled with concern. I had no clue this was going to happen. And if it wasn't Lucy, then who was it?

"Don't worry. You'll be fine." Knox said, comforting me.

Raising my head from his chest, I asked, "Can you give me my phone?"

A thought crossed my mind and then another one. There was only one man who wanted me to turn insane, who wanted me to become like Gideon and I needed to know about his whereabouts immediately.

"Thank you," I whispered before taking my phone from Knox's hand and dialing Mom's number. My heart thudded in my chest hard and fast as I placed the phone against my ear and waited for her to pick it up. "Don't say anything." I turned to Knox.

He crossed a finger over his mouth while sitting back on the bed beside me. The call continued to ring. I waited. It had been more than just a couple of weeks since I had spoken to Mom or Dad, ever since I returned from their house, almost on the verge of being half-dead.

"Candice? Is it you?" Mom said, sounding a bit excited. "Oh, honey, are you okay? Is everything well with you?"

"Yes," I scratched the back of my neck while my eyes drifted around the room as I tried to find the words to say what I wanted. "Everything's good. How are you, Mom?"

"I'm good too. It's been a bit lonely with Natalie gone but I'm getting along. Your Dad's really sorry for what happened and hopefully, we can make amen—"

"It's okay, Mom." I choked out, wanting to cut to the chase before I dropped flat on my head. "There's something I wanted to ask you." My throat became all tight when I thought about Grandpa and all his cruelty.

"Yes?"

"Where's Grandpa? Has he visited you ever since that night? Please, just tell me if he has or if he's planning on doing anything. I really need to know, Mom." There was desperation in the back of my voice as I believed firmly this was Grandpa's doing and no one else's.

When Gideon shared his true intentions with me, I become suspicious of him. If he went to such great lengths to change me once, he could do it again and again till I did what he wanted.

Till I set the new world order with Gideon.

"I'm not sure about him. The last time your Dad and I saw him was when you were here. Your Dad contacted him later on and there was a little argument that took place but since then, we haven't heard from him. We expected him to leave the country already and return to his other homes." Mom explained.

I pressed my hand over my face and closed my eyes tight. No one knew.

"Are you sure, Mom?"

"Yes, darling. Is there something wrong? Are you in some trouble? Tell me. We can help you. You know that right?" she asked.

I gave my head a slight shake. While I was meant to share such information about my health with my parents, I simply couldn't. I didn't trust them entirely and I don't think I could ever.

"It's all fine. I was just wondering about Grandpa. That's all." I said, this time a bit louder and clear so didn't hear any sickness in my voice even when every inch of me turned ice-cold.

"Oh..." She trailed off. "I'm glad you're okay. Just be careful, Candice. I don't know what you're going through or what you went through, but I'm here for you—always. And there could be a chance that your Grandpa is still somewhere around here. He's a different man and he holds a lot of power. Protect yourself and those who are around you. I hope I'll be able to see you soon." She finished.

"Hopefully," I mumbled before giving it a moment of silence and then cutting the call.

There was something about Mom's words that continued to echo in my head, but I stopped thinking about it when Cain thrust the door open and walked in with a glass of blood in his hand.

The smell of blood raced up my nose. It was different as it belonged to a rogue, the weakest breed of all. But I didn't care much. I needed it.

My quivering fingers reached for the glass before I bought it to my lips and drank all of it in one go. My heartbeat suddenly raised. Cold sweat dripped down my back as part of my vision was restored.

"I need more," I said, breathing heavily.

"It will take some time. Rogues aren't healthy and they cannot give much of their blood at once. Can you wait for an hour or two?" Cain asked.

I nodded while wiping my mouth with the back of my hand, "Yes. I can."

"Good."

Knox stood, shifting over me, "Get some rest."

I drew my legs up to the bed and moved back toward the headboard before lying down. Sheets came over me. The painful headache began to disappear, slowly but it did. The blood worked. I didn't gag—not yet. A few more minutes passed, and nothing happened. It settled inside me and gave me the energy I had lost.

"Good. It's working," Cain said, standing on the other end of the bed. His eyes diverted to Knox and he continued, "It only means there's something in our blood. Maybe it's toxic for vampires only and it's not harming us."

"It could be possible. I'm going to find anything I can about this. In the meantime, be with her and inform me if anything changes." Knox nodded, his eyes darkening as he spoke with such hasten.

"I will."

Knox left the room moments later after placing a quick kiss on my cheek. As soon as he did, Cain lowered the lights, making the room dim before he joined me on the bed and lay beside me.

"At least you're not pregnant." He said with a chuckle, lightening up the mood inside the room.

There were stains of blood everywhere, on the walls where I had touched and on the ground. There was a war in my head, but it soothed me knowing they both were here, doing everything to save me. I desired for long to have both of them and now, I did.

All for myself.

"I possibly can't even," I responded, shaking my head. "You're a werewolf and I'm a vampire. No matter how many times you fuck me, I can never bear a child of a werewolf."

A dream which could never turn into reality.

I wanted a child—at some point in my life, but it wasn't something I could get, not from Cain or Knox.

But, what if...

Gideon.

No.

"Ah, yes. That is there," Cain circled his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his embrace. "All will be well, Candice. Don't stress. I'm here for you and so is Knox. And we are never leaving you."

Read the full book Patreon, or on my Inkitt Subscription.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions