Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Were you lurking?" He took the stairs up and reached me in seconds.

"No."

"Candice. Don't lie." A threat appeared in his voice. "Were you in the basement? Listening?" He reached closer and backed me to the railing of the staircase. When I didn't respond, he grew furious. "Fuck. I told you to stay in your room."

"I just—I was curious..." I trailed off.

"It doesn't matters. There are some things that I cannot share with you, regardless of everything. You're still a vampire, under my watch and I have dealt with enough shit from the council. I cannot have you dipping your ears into concerns about my pack." He spoke slowly but his tone was harsh, almost as if he was yelling at me for a mistake I had committed.

"I'm sorry. I won't do it again." I gave my head a little shake and apologized.

We were different people, different creatures. We could never be the same. He was a werewolf and I was a vampire. He was right. There had to be a line between us.

"Just go to your room." He looked away from me, exhausted and worn-out even though the day had just began.

My gaze narrowed. I felt uneasy. What was the big deal if I did listen? Turning around, I walked away from Knox and back into my room.

It had been more than just a month that I came into Thornwood and I still felt like a prisoner. There were no other vampires asides from me. The town was packed with werewolves. I couldn't leave or go anywhere outside without people questioning me. Everyone was informed about the blood-sucking creature living between them and they strayed away.

Cold gripped me from all sides when I entered the room. It was Knox' room, where I lived and stayed for most of the time.

I switched on the heater and then stood near the window till the floors grew warm and the bed comfortable to lay on.

The eclipse wasn't far, it was occurring at January 24th, more than a month away. I doubted Gideon would attack here especially after knowing we have the weapon that could end him. He stopped attacking overall but for what reason?

I was turning twenty in twelve days, December 6th and I was less bothered about my birthday but rather more worried about my family and what they intended on doing.

An attack?

I hoped not.

A knock appeared on the door and I turned. The knob twisted and a woman, a maid, walked in with breakfast and a bag of blood on the side.

"The Alpha requested to drop this off to your room. He wishes for you to take it." She stood by the doorway, waiting for me approach her.

I heaved in a breath and took the tray from her hands. "Thank you."

There was fear growing in her eyes for as long as she stood at the doorway. It was the same woman that I had attacked and bitten from when I was hungry and starving for blood. Cain had punished me then for drinking from her.

She left the doorway and rushed across the hallway immediately. I rolled my eyes and slammed the door shut.

It wasn't like I was going to kill anyone.

I didn't want to.

Ugh.

My eyes hovered over the bag of blood that remained untouched. Did I want to drink? Obviously.

But at the same time I didn't want to. I wasn't hungry...not for blood. I wanted Knox to be in peace with me, I didn't want him to constantly snap at me and be concerned. He had changed and it hurt me.