Chapter 8

Disclaimer: I do not own these images, all rights belong to the original creators

Knothole Village: 

Inside the large messy workshop, Rotor the walrus is busy tinkering with the assistance of Tails, on an important piece of complicated machinery that the Freedom Fighters have been working on for years. It is called the De-Roboticizer, an attempt at reverse engineering the original machine created by Sonic's uncle Charles or simply Chuck to those who knew the hedgehog. It was originally designed to help those who had a debilitating illness or lost limbs by turning their organic parts into machines while keeping their sentience and personality. It was a technological marvel that King Maximilian Acorn celebrated and knighted Charles Hedgehog for his accomplishments. 

However, once Robotnik overthrew the kingdom, he stole the designs from Charles and used the device to create a loyal, emotionless, workforce that obeyed his every command. Charles himself was one of the many victims of the madman's work, along with 80% of the Acorn kingdoms population, all transformed into worker bots.

The Freedom Fighters have spent years gathering parts or any scraps of data relating to the Roboticizer, and have been making great progress. Unfortunately any tests that have been run all came out with zero success. That never stopped Rotor from trying though, his tenacity and skill with machines is a marvel all on its own, no matter how many times a machine breaks or fails to run, he keeps trying until it's working.

"Tails, can you hand me the wire stripper please?" Rotor asked

"Sure Rotor.....uh"  he starts digging through the tools "Is this it?" he asked while holding a strange looking pair of pliers.

Rotor pulls himself out from the underside of the bulky computer console that is the heart of the De-Roboticizer. 

"Yup that's it, thanks buddy" he said with a smile and patted the young fox's head. Tails giggles at that and Rotor goes back under to finish his work.

"So how long do you think it will take to finish the machine Rotor?" Tails asked curiously

He continued to work while answering "Well we still need to find more blueprints on the Roboticizer, I'm just flying blind with the little data that we have. Plus were gonna need the right components to make it work, and then there's the issue of power....." he droned on.

"So....it's gonna take a long time huh" Tails asked with a frown

"Afraid so little guy, but as long as we keep gathering parts, it will be finished in no time" He said in a hopeful tone

"Cool" he said happily

"There you are, Tails" a familiar voice called out

"Hey aunt Sally" He said while waving

"What are you up to?" She asked

"Helping out Rotor, he's showing me what all these tools are" he reaches into the tool box and starts pulling out various tools to name.

"this is a crescent wrench,  a Phillips head screwdriver, a soldering iron....."

'haha very good tails, with Rotors help, you'll be quite the mechanic one day" Sally said with encouragement. Even though she prevents tails from going out into the field to help the Freedom fighters, Sally does encourage him in learning new skills from everyone when they are off duty.

 tails gasps, his eyes gleamed with excitement "REALLY!!?"

"Yeah you've been doing really good, hey Sally" Rotor greets with a wave